Thread: Seal Beach CA

Seal Beach CA

hello everyone! Been a while since I've posted here but I'm curious to find out who all there is to network with &what interesting things people have found in the Seal Beach area. I'm thinking of moving there fora while. so if anyone has thoughts please post or PM me. also sorry for the shoddy spelling capitalization punctuation etc... still not used to typing on a tablet!
    Happy New Year all! (just realized this should maybe b in ttravel...but I don't know how to copy n paste on here so...sorry if it's in the wrong place!)
    Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
    Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

no one? no one at all? does that mean the area is gimp free because I don't wanna be the only one!

Life Rolls On (surfing program, etc.) does a lot of their programs in Huntington Beach, which is the next city over. All the cities in Orange County kind of run into each other so it is hard to tell when you move from one to the other. There is a SCI rehab program at UC Irvine, not far down the road, and "The Wedge" in Huntington Beach is a famous body surfing area which unfortunately is also a pretty common site of traumatic SCI.

The Independent Living Center in that area is also very active, and is a good source for connecting with support groups, advocates, and programs in the area. The Dale McInstosh Center in Garden Grove serves the beach area in Orange County and has a reputation as one of the better ILCs in the state.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Life Rolls On (surfing program, etc.) does a lot of their programs in Huntington Beach, which is the next city over. All the cities in Orange County kind of run into each other so it is hard to tell when you move from one to the other. There is a SCI rehab program at UC Irvine, not far down the road, and "The Wedge" in Huntington Beach is a famous body surfing area which unfortunately is also a pretty common site of traumatic SCI.

The Independent Living Center in that area is also very active, and is a good source for connecting with support groups, advocates, and programs in the area. The Dale McInstosh Center in Garden Grove serves the beach area in Orange County and has a reputation as one of the better ILCs in the state.

(KLD)
    The Wedge is actually in Newport Beach. I lived in Huntington Beach off 11th St. and surfed most everyday.

We used to go to the Wedge to body surf and watch the gremmies try to body surf and laugh at the girls running towards a towel after losing their tops in a wave.

It was a very dangerous place for sure. 15 foot waves bouncing off the breakwater in less than 5 feet deep water. We always heard of guys breaking their necks there. I hear they're surfing the place now with the advent of the short board.

Of the three beaches, Seal Beach is probably the less expensive or used to be. there's also Sunset and Surfside communities in between. Stay away anything North like Long Beach. It's a whole different dangerous lifestyle there.

Seal Beach or is it Sunset Beach that is incorporated into Huntington Beach although I'm sure they are going to keep their own identity. Besides the wonderful weather most everywhere you go is flat.

It's Sunset Beach that was annexed by Huntington Beach in 2011. As was stated, they look kinda alike.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-05-2013 at 01:59 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

No idea on costs, but when we owned property we would go to all the beach cities and it was indeed easy to get around and I have seem many other people in chairs. We sold our West Hollywood Condo a few years ago but go back every year to the area. Based on you already being in California you know the typically costs of parking and the like. Try CL for rent ideas and events to see what's happening. Plus take a few long weekends and go stay in the area and see if you like it.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I'm going to be moving in with my Grandma, who lives literally 3 blocks from the beach and also mean I don't have to worry about rent! I could never afford a place that close to the beach anyway. So I know the area pretty well, and I've spent a lot of time there just never bothered to seek out other gimps to hang out with or find adaptive activites because I'm usually busy with other things when I'm there.

I really love old downtown Main St. there and of course the pier is always fun. Is there anything fun that people in that area do or like to hang out at? The only places I've been to just go hang out is O'Malleys Irish Pub and the Crab Pot...

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback, Thanks! And if anyone is interested in talking to me about anything feel free to message me; I have some family in the area but I don't know anyone close to my age (I'm 23), I'm always interested in meeting new people!