Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not make it a year + 8 days

Why not make it a year + 8 days

Hello there people. My name is Erik and I am not a "new" para. I am a T-10 complete and I have been paralyzed now for almost 10 years. My 10 years is coming up real soon.

I have also been dealing with a decubitus ulcer for just over 9 1/2 years. It wasn't long after I had left the rehab that I had developed the ulcer. I refuse to have a flap. I don't trust that the flap will good for long term. And I honestly believe that I can heal it on my own with seeing the doctor of course.

I have been lucky with that I have only had one infection. Right now IIRC the size of my wound is 5cm dept and 1 cm width with another tunnel at abouth the same dept.

For anyone who is here or just new to SCI one piece of advice I can give you is don't let any ulcers lag on for as long as I have. They F'ING SUCK!

Erik

OMG. Welcome to CareCure. Do the flap!

I've been paralyzed since age 12 ... had a flap surgery on my coccyx at age 15 (from foam cushion and horse back riding and uneven back on chair).

It's still holding up and I'm now 40. Best thing I ever did.

You risk osteo .. in fact you must have it by now if it's on your buttocks! (Bone infection ... which can lead to sepsis if not treated ... there are no symptoms with osteo sometimes).

Whatever doctor has let you get away with this, for almost a decade, is being negligent! Your life can be soooo much better, man - get the surgery and be ready to live again by Spring/Summer! You must be depressed as hell! What are you sleeping on and do you stay off of it? What cushion on your chair?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i'm with lyn on this one, if it's not already grown skin into the wound then it will never completely heal, i sure don't know how it has not, i forgot what my doctor called that, KLD will give it the right term...that's what mine did and i still had to have the flap after 2 years trying to get one as big around as a toothpick and 6cm deep....i got it down to 2 cm but it would just go back to about 4 when i got up on it and it grew skin inside the wound......go for the flap and get it done with, especially get a good dr and have it done right and you'll probably not have to fool with it again as long as you do your decompressions..good luck.....

Not that I haven't thought about getting the flap done I have have thought about it many times. But with some people I have met that have had it done before that haven't had the best of luck with it afterwords and even some postings I have read on here in the forums I am very unsure about it "for me".

Sure everyone is different in the way they heal or deal with things. Maybe it would work for me in the long run maybe not. There really is only one way to find out right?

So far I have been lucky with only one infection and as far as the tests I am clear of any osteo - Sign of the cross and knock on wood -. As for skin growing inside that I am not sure of. I have not been told that it has but I will ask on my next visit.

This is not the doctors falt at all. I blame only myself and no one else. I have simply refused the flap. All the doctor can do is help me with the way I feel comfortable with healing.

I can't say that I am depressed because I am not. But it does suck not being able to do certain things like swimming or even more but I deal with it just fine.

lynn, from your success with the flap I will be thinking it over again. Thank you for your response.

I will not deny that I am very stuborn about this issue. It does have to be healed and I have faith that it will one way or the other.

My bed is a old style medical bed. I sleep on my stomach and side for the most part. I do sleep on my back but only about once a week maybe.

My cushion is a Jay jell cushion. I like the firmness of it.

I hate that cable guy comedian but, "Git er done!" Goodness you won't know what to do with yourself afterwards you'll be so free!

I sleep on a mattress overlay - alternating air mattress. Also use a Jay Active gel cushion ... moves everytime I breathe.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I will be thinking over Lynn. With a possible move coming and a family reunion set for March if I do go through with it it won't be done until Spring or Summer.

I have also not been the best with staying off my ass these last couple of years. That is changing now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Hello there people. My name is Erik and I am not a "new" para. I am a T-10 complete and I have been paralyzed now for almost 10 years. My 10 years is coming up real soon.

I have also been dealing with a decubitus ulcer for just over 9 1/2 years. It wasn't long after I had left the rehab that I had developed the ulcer. I refuse to have a flap. I don't trust that the flap will good for long term. And I honestly believe that I can heal it on my own with seeing the doctor of course.

I have been lucky with that I have only had one infection. Right now IIRC the size of my wound is 5cm dept and 1 cm width with another tunnel at abouth the same dept.

For anyone who is here or just new to SCI one piece of advice I can give you is don't let any ulcers lag on for as long as I have. They F'ING SUCK!

Erik

I had a flap done 31 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    I honestly believe that I can heal it on my own with seeing the doctor of course.
    Don't you think that 9-1/2 years of trying might prove that you can't heal it on your own with that doctor?
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

The chances of a wound like yours healing if you are up and around in your wheelchair is .0000001. The tunnel really complicates the situation. There are some high tech wound healing agents that can speed the healing process in some people that could be worth a try. However, there is a saying going back several decades that "you can put anything on a wound except pressure and it will heal." Flap or no flap that is essential to healing your wound.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Lynn and SCIfor55yrs are correct as is Ami. After 9-1/2 years of trying on your own, well, there is stubborn and there is stupid. Interview a few plastic surgeons that do flaps. Ask if they have patients willing to call you so you can speak to others who have gone through this. And once the surgery is over you must, for good healing and strong skin, follow your surgeon's directions exactly as far as getting up versus down time and even nutrition. And it you smoke, quit now because few surgeons will operate on smokers because your circulation will be further compromised.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.