Thread: USA - New pain-management rules leave patients hurting

Exclamation USA - New pain-management rules leave patients hurting

Can't remember how I found this article....apologies if it's already been posted.....

EDIT- A member called No Noise spotted and politely pointed out that this news is a year old. Thanks to No Noise and Sorry from me.

Note- these new rules are aimed at patients on opiates who fall -outside- the following categories - pain from injuries, cancer, terminal illness, and surgery.

So many of our members should be excluded. However, some here use wheelchairs, and have pain for reasons not stated above, or may have multiple diagnoses and find themselves wrongly categorised.

Full article here -

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...7_pain28m.html

And here is an amateur summary - New laws from Washington in the U.S, coming into effect in Jan 2013 will make it a lot harder/risky for doctors to prescribe opiates to patients who fall outside the categories stated above.

Article reports that many such patients have already been abruptly kicked out of their pain clinics, have their opiate supply cut off, and perhaps worst of all, been left with nothing to replace the pain relieving power they were previously provided with.

The law is aimed at reducing the ''alarming'' increase in opiate overdose related deaths.
    Noble to want to reduce such deaths. Cruel to pass a law that, in effect, seems to be suddenly forcing people off opiates and with no other pain relief.

To those living outside the US -
    I live in the UK but, as the saying goes, ''when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold'', i.e Britain often follows America in cultural and political trends.
    I've definitely noticed the same trend over here. It appears to be have been coming to the boil for some time now.

To my mind, this is just another reason for me to keep on searching for drug free home treatments for pain relief. I have been shocked and saddened by how few doctors show interest in drug free pain relief. It's almost always drugs or nothing. With the assumption that if you don't accept the drugs then you're not really in pain, and if you do, you're a drug seeking addict.
    Last edited by Bear_on_wheels; 12-29-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: added note saying its old news at the top of post

I'm pretty positive the law went into effect 1/1/12.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Just looked at article again and you're right No Noise! I am sorry for any stress caused. There is a big 2012 date near the top of the article, and a smaller, 2011 date a bit further down. I mistook one for the other :/ Time to go to bed I think!