Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly
    I find it hard to get my head around moving to a Phase III without any evidence of motor or sensory recovery in Phase II. (Although I agree, we have to wait until we see the 12 month data before making the assumption that there will be no motor or sensory).

FYI If you decide to move forward to a Phase III solely based on increased CPG-activated walking - then I personally wouldn't agree with that as I do not consider this as an appropriate outcome. I regard stepping and functional walking as two very different things. I dont say this flippantly but rather from my first hand experience. It's not an outcome I feel is synergistic with CST regeneration. But that's just my opinion and I have the same opinion of epidural stim btw. I dont like the term "locomotor recovery" as it has elements of grey.

Hopefully we will see motor and sensory scores change in the Phase II data and this point will be moot

• Please withhold judgment until the data is available. Thank you.
    Wise,

I don't see where Pelican is judging, in my opinion he is just expressing his opinion (which seems very reasonable to me).
    Then note also that he starts the second paragraph with "if", so it can't be a judgment ... as far as I understand english..

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 02-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I'm sure that Pelican hasn't took it the wrong way and neither the rest of us did. I know that it's all to criticize Dr. Wise for you, so it's just you who thinks that way. You're signature just indicates your personal frustrations against him, so who cares what you think, we can see it for ourselves.

Send kiwi my regards e si cazzo con i tuoi commenti inutili
    Last edited by Moe; 02-16-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I'm sure that Pelican hasn't took it the wrong way and neither the rest of us did. I know that it's all to criticize Dr. Wise for you, so it's just you who thinks that way. You're signature just indicates your personal frustrations against him, so who cares what you think, we can see it for ourselves.

Moe,
    Although I don't disagree, I would prefer if you didn't speak for me.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Moe,

I have just expressed my opinion as you just did. If you don't care about what I think you should just ignore my posts.
    About my signature I have added it as I have really appreciated Wise being so straight and honest.

I don't understand what you are trying to say in italian in your last sentence, all I see is a bad word that does not correlate fluently with the other words. Could you say it in english? Or just send me a PM.

Paolo

Please withhold judgment until the data is available. Thank you.
    I don't believe I have made any judgements. Apologies if that seems to be the case. We all await the 12-month data eagerly. I am no different.

The spinal cord injury community must not abandon or be ignorant of how the trillion dollar therapeutics industry is organized and motivated. Many disease communities, such as those with multiple sclerosis and AIDS, have successfully convince the therapeutics industry to invest billions into the development of therapies for them. The spinal cord injury community should do so as well.
    So are you saying that SCI user organisations (we) should appeal to the likes of Glaxxo, Pfizer et al to invest billions in delivering Cures by convincing them it is profitable?

The costs of SCI to nations, economies, healthcare systems, communities and individuals is publicly available in quite a few countries now. So too is the promise of SCI Cure research. It's not difficult information to find. So why is it so difficult for these teams of incredibly resourceful and intelligent 'new business' analysts to not see the potential return on investment of delivering SCI cures without an appeal from us? I'd love to understand your view on that.

In my opinion, these commercial entities will only get involved if Governments subsidise it. Or perhaps that is what you are alluding to?

I am sure that your question is rhetorical, so let me answer it with a another rhetorical question. How do you think that all clinical trials are done? You do it one step at a time, convince one donor at a time, deal with one naysayer at a time, obtain the commitment of one company at a time, recruit one doctor at a time, and complete one trial at a time against all odds.
    I don't dismiss that this is exactly how clinical trials start and gather pace. However, sometimes, when the odds are against you - you choose play a different game. This is why you have put so much effort into setting up SCINetChina. This is also why organisations such as U2FP, FasterCures, ARM, PatientsLikeMe see it important to challenge the existing discovery to market model. Good luck to them, just as I wish SCINetChina good luck in delivering trials quickly and efficiently.

I just hope that China considers allowing first-in-human safety trials in the future as it would be a shame to have under-utilised trial networks deciding to choose inferior therapies whilst waiting for other countries to absorb the risk on safety of more promising ones.

For the better part of two decades, big pharma has used biotech companies to de-risk therapies before they acquire them. This model turned out to be inefficient and expensive, contributing significantly to the >$2 billion price to move a therapy from discovery to market. The industry is now looking for better models. I believe that the best model is non-profit clinical trial networks that are supported by a diversity of sources to test the most promising therapies efficiently and rigorously.
    Agreed. Could it also be that non-profit translational/pre-clinical networks could facilitate discovery to market instead of relying on highly-leveraged biotech and big pharma? You could think of it as a non-profit pseudo-biotech.

Why delay the trials for another several years when it will not change the design of the trials and the safety of the treatment has been shown? Umbilical cord blood from dogs have been injected into spinal cords of experimentally injured dogs at a week after injury in Taiwan and in Korea. The results indicate that umbilical cord blood cell transplants are be safe and improve recovery in dogs. However, the transplanted cord blood cells were not HLA-matched and they did not transplant the cells into chronically injured dogs. There is no dog cord blood bank and dog studies are difficult and expensive. The only spinal cord injury treatment efficacy dog studies that I know in the United States are actual clinical trials on naturally spinal-injured dogs at Purdue and in Austin, TX.
    Thanks. I understand. Personally, I have no opinion on this. As an individual with SCI, the quicker the trials are concluded the better. But I can see why some researchers may question the UCBC+Lithium trial. There seems to be a divergence of opinions within the field with regards to what is needed to move forward to human trials. You have groups like Tuszynski's moving to non-human primates and yet other groups moving to human chronic injuries with data from a mixture of chronic and acute rat studies.

Tuszynski's lab (Paul Lu specifically) is an interesting example. His rat studies showed efficacy in a complete transection whilst making use of clinical-grade human neural stem cells. Yet they still feel it's necessary to demonstrate efficacy in non-human primates before considering a human trial. Why is this? Is it on the advice of industry? Or is it just that they like to make use of the monkeys they have invested many millions in?

btw, I know you are not a fan of non-human primate studies in this context.

No. I don't think the U.S. FDA or EMA requires any delay either? Why do you ask?
    I was just wondering if there is a grace period in between trial phases starting and ending. Is there ever a scenario where a modified Phase II could take place? Does that happen?

You are welcome. Regarding Seikagaku, I don't think that they have applied to the FDA to use their formulation to inject into the spinal cord. Also, there is no reason why Seikagaku would be willing to provide its formulation or even its safety data to Acorda or any other company. This is not an unusual situation and there will be many cases like this in the future.
    Of course. With regards to my question about the purity. What makes you think that the formula that Seigakaku have is not of the purity required for the spinal cord?

Cheers
    Fly Pelican Fly
    Last edited by Fly_Pelican_Fly; 02-16-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fti View Post
    pr your opinion on the sélégiline for the stimulation of cells

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22395135

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22284617
    more on pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19422735
    your opinion
    Last edited by fti; 02-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    JustaDollarPlease.org

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

About my signature I have added it as I have really appreciated Wise being so straight and honest.

Paolo
    This just proves that you don't read or can't understand what others write.
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Solan View Post
    This just proves that you don't read or can't understand what others write.
    Solan,

your signature is clearly a joke and I like it. My signature wasn't intended as a joke, but maybe that wasn't very clear.

Do you have any news about the clinical trial that is suppose to start in Norway this year?

Paolo

Solan,

your signature is clearly a joke and I like it. My signature wasn't intended as a joke, but maybe that wasn't very clear.

Do you have any news about the clinical trial that is suppose to start in Norway this year?

Paolo
    Paolo,
    I'll give you an honest answere. I don't know! This trial won't involve me since I am Asia D and therefore I am waiting it out and haven't tried to find out the latest news about it.
    Please don't twist my answere around to there not being a trial.
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Moe,
    I would prefer if you didn't speak for me.
    Jim
    Agreed.

Dr Silver - an impossible question.

Knowing what you know about your research and timelines .. what if you were a paralyzed female for 28yrs who used crede/valsalva to micturate for more than 20 of those years .. which unfortunately ruined the urethral sphincter.

Ruined it to the point that you went on a foley cath with leg bag in 2009 ... and are now leaking around that.

My bladder is the size of a walnut (I'd really like to find a plastics person who could figure out how to put a tissue expander in there instead of the dangerous augmentations offered but I don't know how that would work with a giant balloon in the bladder and kidneys still dripping urine into the bladder at the same time... a uro-gyne I know came up with that idea but it was casual talk in Toronto). My work insurance won't cover Botox and Collagen is no longer an option.

What would you do? I'm trying to wait all this out for a better option via research - but in the meantime, I have skin breakdown, leaking and it's put quite the damper (haha), on my life.

Not to mention Poise pads are expensive! Males have it all easier don't they ... if it was YOU, what would you do?
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-18-2013 at 08:28 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12