Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 532

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

  1. #431
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    lol - I have taken hundreds of bottles of Motrin over the years for PMS, pain, headaches, etc.

    No improvements here.
    There is no possible way, post-hoc, to gauge if ibuprofen had anything to do with your improvements or not. It should be studied in a clinical trial.

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'm kind of caught in the middle here because there are some of us 20yrs+ who have experienced a sort of 'spontaneous regeneration' as Dr Young calls it ... I know I experienced it myself before the Ampyra came along (and greatly improved things). Dr Young claimed he had a friend that this happened to as well after decades.

    My left abdomen below the navel came back in a patch after I work up from some unrelated surgery. Eight years later that area expanded by an inch or so, down and across.

    I'm the anomaly with Transverse Myelitis though as I don't know enough about how these research options will or will not help me.

  2. #432
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    Good luck finding a principal investigator, the venture capital and a trial infrastructure for this incredibly awesome idea!
    Even though I sense sarcasm here, I agree with your point.
    “Yet a proper, randomized clinical trial has never been done because no company wants to pay for an ibuprofen trial when it can be bought in [a store] for five cents a pill,” McGeer said.

    “The cheaper the agent, the less the incentive to fund expensive clinical trials,” he said, referring to the fact that pharmaceutical companies only want to sponsor research on new drug agents they can patent and can profit from.

  3. #433
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Hmm..
    crabby, I've put things right in the researchblog-thread.

  4. #434
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    “Yet a proper, randomized clinical trial has never been done because no company wants to pay for an ibuprofen trial when it can be bought in [a store] for five cents a pill,” McGeer said.

    “The cheaper the agent, the less the incentive to fund expensive clinical trials,” he said, referring to the fact that pharmaceutical companies only want to sponsor research on new drug agents they can patent and can profit from.
    Based on the very nature of its financial resources, a non-commercial clinical trial (network) should be taking less risk than a commercial clinical trial run by a large biotech or pharmaceutical when selecting a therapeutic target. Larger entities can afford the odd failure. Non-commercial trials cannot afford failure when money is so hard to come by. All the more reason for demonstrating compelling evidence in the translational stage in a clinically relevant chronic animal model before moving forward with any trial. Dont you think?

  5. #435
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    This thread has gone downhill.

    I've tried to stay out of the China one now that there's a separate one.

    Funny how the mods aren't 'moderating' this one as heavily as they were Dr Young's ... but that's how it is around here.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  6. #436
    Jen, what should be moderated here?

  7. #437
    Quote Originally Posted by fti View Post
    I wrote to Professor Strittmatter veiled the responses

    Dear Mr. Partick Guerdner,
    Sorry to hear of your injury. In our laboratory animal studies, Ibuprofen was effective for improving outcome of recent spinal cord injuries (less than one week), but turned out to be ineffective for chronic injuries (older than 3 months).
    Best regards,
    Steve Strittmatter


    The chronic ibuprofen data has not been published.
    We are working to a human clinical trail in chronic SCI with NgR-Fc. The work now is completing protein production in large amounts to FDA standards adn completing toxicology studies. We hope to start in the clinic within 18-24 months.
    Best
    Steve
    Thanks fti for letting us know about this exchange with Steve.

  8. #438
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This thread has gone downhill.

    I've tried to stay out of the China one now that there's a separate one.

    Funny how the mods aren't 'moderating' this one as heavily as they were Dr Young's ... but that's how it is around here.
    IMO it has been a very informative thread so far at least sometimes.
    Sure things that people may learn from this thread might be in conflict with the status quo....

    Probably the status quo would love to have reasons to move part of this thread to the "members only" if not just massively remove disturbing comments.. as it has happened already not long ago... Censorship?

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  9. #439
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    I didn't dismiss anything as being bogus. But I do question the rationale to take this to human trials without compelling evidence in a clinically relevant animal injury model. The fact that human trials are incredibly expensive to execute and difficult to recruit for should mean that the selection criteria of therapies for human trials should be very carefully and efficiently thought out.

    Obviously the goal of Cure is important, but equally important is the critical path to goal with the resources available to the clinical community. Cash is king, and the custodians of the cash need to take a balanced approach in selecting therapies during frugal times. You always want the "biggest Bang for your Buck". A scattergun approach raises the probability of failure - and impacts the argument that investing in science to reduce healthcare costs diminishes - especially when governments are making huge cutbacks.

    That makes sense to me.. I wonder if there is a single CC member with a reasonable understanding of SCI research that desagree..

    Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  10. #440
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    ay2012,

    Finally, when they gave Ibuprofen to rats that had dorsal hemisections, they found regeneration of corticospinal and serotonergic tracts. In control (untreated) animals, only a few BDA (this is a dye that is injected into the motor cortex) labelled corticospinal tracts grew across the injury site. However, in Ibuprofen treated rats, they found many BDA-labelled axons distal to the injury site. They also found increased growth of seronergic (5-HT) axons. These axons grew fairly long distances beyond the injury site (>10 mm).

    Wise.
    "The results here reveal that axonal sprouting and neuroprotection are likely to be the primary mechanisms of ibuprofen’s action in spinal contusion. In contrast, the corticospinal regeneration highlighted by a previous study (Fu et al., 2007) was not observed here. We find that ibuprofen dependent axonal regeneration is confined to a small subset of raphespinal fibers after complete transection." (Wang, et al, 2009).

Similar Threads

  1. ? for jerry silver
    By havok in forum Cure
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  2. Jerry Silver talks to me
    By Christopher Paddon in forum Cure
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  3. open question to wise and jerry silver
    By lunasicc42 in forum Cure
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
  4. jerry Silver wins Javits Award
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •