Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    A well established scar at the lesion site cannot be overcome by ch'ase or our peptide alone. The Tusznyski lab has shown that a small number of sensory axons can be pulled through an established scar using viral delivery of neurotrophins just beyond the lesion. However, once past the scar the axons again become trapped in the trophic oasis. We overcome chronic scar by gentle surgical removal of it and then we use ch'ase plus fibroblast growth factor (FGF) to maintain a proper interface with our bridging grafts. Stay tuned for my second W2W presentation and pay close attention to the very last part which deals with bridging a chronic contusive injury site. The good news is that regeneration (with significant recovery at least of bladder function) is possible at chronic stages when one uses an appropriate combinatorial strategy.
    Jerry, it is heartening to see another person besides Wise with such passion for a cure. What would it take to incorporate a greater degree of collaboration between you two? What would it take to get any of your therapies into human clinical trials?

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Thanks Dr. Silver....just to be clear then, you claim to have such results with your paper currently under review? What would be the impediments to then bringing such a potential therapy to clinical trial? I know in the past, Dr. Young has publicly offered to help bring some of the therapies you've been working on to his clinical trial networks....if you're so skeptical of work that doesn't consider the "scar" wouldn't the best vindication be to bring one of your lab's therapies to these networks?
    In our paper we describe our strategy for bridging a complete acute transection lesion in adult rats. We show very nice, long distance regeneration of certain important brainstem (raphe-spinal, coeruleo-spinal, reticulo-spinal and from the pontine micturition center) and propriospinal axons for very long distances and nice return of urinary function. The lengthy regeneration of these systems of fibers without the need to stimulate their intrinsic capacity for growth (ie., pTEN/SOCS3 deletion) is remarkable and quite exciting. We see some, but very minor, return of crude locomotor function likely mediated via reticulo-spinal and raphe-spinal regeneration. We see no regeneration of cortico-spinal or rubro-spinal axons so regeneration of axons that control fine locomotor skills will necessitate further strategies to encourage their intrinsic growth potential. All these results are discussed in the first part of my second W2W talk. Work on bridging a chronic lesion has been ongoing intensely for 2 years and we have finally figured out a strategy that has begun to make some progress. It involves scar removal and treatment of the lesion ( 2 months post injury) for one week with ch'ase and growth factors in preparation for bridge building. We now see evidence for massive regeneration into and well beyond the lesion of adrenergic and serotonergic (locus coeruleus and raphe) axons that help to control a variety of basic functions and again we see return of urinary function but no return at all of locomotion. Stimulating regeneration at chronic stages is a challenge, no doubt, but we are making progress and it can happen. As we perfect our techniques and provide convincing evidence for regeneration and functional recovery we would, of course, welcome the opportunity to contribute to or participate in a clinical trial. Success with 2 month chronic lesions will give us courage to attempt our regeneration strategy at much longer post injury time points. The work on chronic SCI is covered at the end of my W2W talk and we have a ways to go before this is published.

Shouldn't JSilver's posts be on it;s own thread? Thought this was ChinaSCINet Update's...

This is all off topic discutions wich can get confusing.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

The nerve bundle growing across the injury site at the recent Dr Young's trial is not growing across the scar? I had this big scar on my arm,got it after a cut during my school days,pre-sci of course.At first the scar don't have any sensation,even i use fire to burn it.After a few months the scar gain sensation.Is the a case of nerve growing into the scar? I presume the scar in the spinal and arm is the same? Sorry,if I ask something stupid,just thinking only.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Shouldn't JSilver's posts be on it;s own thread? Thought this was ChinaSCINet Update's...

This is all off topic discutions wich can get confusing.
    Fair enough, didn't mean to derail the thread... And to clarify, I don't mean to suggest one side or the other is correct of the "scar" issue because of course I'm not in any way qualified, which is the same reason noone would care to know my opinion.
    My point was, given how ignorant I (we?) am of the science, it's distressing to see such a huge discrepancy between what Dr.'s Young and Silver think regarding he issue and its bearing on the potential success of the trial.

If these two great guns Jerry and Wise can collaborate they can bring miracle and fast trials for all kind of injury levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    My point was, given how ignorant I (we?) am of the science, it's distressing to see such a huge discrepancy between what Dr.'s Young and Silver think regarding he issue and its bearing on the potential success of the trial.
    Dr Silver prefer to remove the scar. It will give him some advantages over Dr Wise technique, but probably will cause him some disadvantages. The same can be said about Dr Wise technique with advantages and disadvantages. This kind of situation happen all the time, even in our day life. I think we have to see the discrepancy between what Dr.'s Young and Silver in this way, not as something to worry.

Agreed with Marcus and Moe.

Moe is right that Wise is just moving towards phase 3 and rest all are still on rats. Jerry should come on humans now with his all dedicated work.

Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

If Dr Jerry Silver have very solid proof that removing the scar will improve the recovery. I would love him to challenge Dr Wise Young on this issue. It can only bring more positive outcome to the therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Will see how far ChinaSCINet will go. So far good news. By the end of phase III human trials, the others are still playing with rats...

Back to ChinaSCINet topic please...
    Good point
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo