Page 1 of 54 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

In our lab we have been experimenting on strategies to bridge a chronic spinal cord contusive injury cavity. We have found that it is absolutely essential to physically remove the tough scar membrane that surrounds the wound cavity. If we don't remove scar then there is no regeneration and all the stem cells in the world will not by themselves break this down. The scar is present and it needs to be dealt with.

Merry Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    In our lab we have been experimenting on strategies to bridge a chronic spinal cord contusive injury cavity. We have found that it is absolutely essential to physically remove the tough scar membrane that surrounds the wound cavity. If we don't remove scar then there is no regeneration and all the stem cells in the world will not by themselves break this down. The scar is present and it needs to be dealt with.

Merry Xmas
    Dr.Silver
    Can we get some refrences to publications and data that verifies this information?
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Moe,

I... don't care about what I think ... you should just ignore my posts.

I don't understand ... words.

Paolo

Merry Xmas
    Anyone else as distressed over this as I am? I know that in science there is room for vigorous disagreement, even between voices as important in spinal cord injury research as Dr.'s Young and Silver...but for them to be so clearly opposed over such a fundamental issue. Has any animal study in a complete, chronic model shown regeneration and/or return of function simply by injecting stem cells into the lesion and without explicitly trying to deal with the "scar"? If yes, then the above statement seems less worrisome. If not, well....

Quote Originally Posted by Solan View Post
    Dr.Silver
    Can we get some refrences to publications and data that verifies this information?
    This work will be presented in my second talk that I gave at the recent W2W. It should be coming on-line soon. The publication of the results is now being reviewed at the Journal of Neuroscience.

Jerry can scar only be removed with ch'ase or your new peptide or there are some other therapies too for removing scar?

Dr Davies now swings in with cape and all to save the day???

Decorin. I still have faith.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by ay2012 View Post
    Anyone else as distressed over this as I am? I know that in science there is room for vigorous disagreement, even between voices as important in spinal cord injury research as Dr.'s Young and Silver...but for them to be so clearly opposed over such a fundamental issue. Has any animal study in a complete, chronic model shown regeneration and/or return of function simply by injecting stem cells into the lesion and without explicitly trying to deal with the "scar"? If yes, then the above statement seems less worrisome. If not, well....
    You are completely correct in your concern. The answer to your question is unfortunately, no. The scar is a major impediment to regeneration. It becomes more dense over time and it must be overcome by powerful neurotrophic molecules or surgically removed if there is to be any regeneration across or around its territory. That is what we have found over several years of intense investigations on how to bridge across a chronic cord injury site. Everybody who attempts to stimulate regeneration across a chronic wound tries to do something to overcome scar. To my knowledge, no paper has ever been published showing that following long chronic time periods, stem cells by themselves can elicit regeneration. This is precisely why Dr Young's denial of the existence of this structure and his recent claims of regeneration without scar modification are so controversial, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Jerry can scar only be removed with ch'ase or your new peptide or there are some other therapies too for removing scar?
    A well established scar at the lesion site cannot be overcome by ch'ase or our peptide alone. The Tusznyski lab has shown that a small number of sensory axons can be pulled through an established scar using viral delivery of neurotrophins just beyond the lesion. However, once past the scar the axons again become trapped in the trophic oasis. We overcome chronic scar by gentle surgical removal of it and then we use ch'ase plus fibroblast growth factor (FGF) to maintain a proper interface with our bridging grafts. Stay tuned for my second W2W presentation and pay close attention to the very last part which deals with bridging a chronic contusive injury site. The good news is that regeneration (with significant recovery at least of bladder function) is possible at chronic stages when one uses an appropriate combinatorial strategy.

Ok Jerry wait for ur second presentation. Hope bowel and sexual function can also be recovered with bladder function with your combination therapy Jerry.

You should come with ur therapy soon now on humans with ur efforts.

You are completely correct in your concern. The answer to your question is unfortunately, no. The scar is a major impediment to regeneration. It becomes more dense over time and it must be overcome by powerful neurotrophic molecules or surgically removed if there is to be any regeneration across or around its territory. That is what we have found over several years of intense investigations on how to bridge across a chronic cord injury site. Everybody who attempts to stimulate regeneration across a chronic wound tries to do something to overcome scar. To my knowledge, no paper has ever been published showing that following long chronic time periods, stem cells by themselves can elicit regeneration. This is precisely why Dr Young's denial of the existence of this structure and his recent claims of regeneration without scar modification are so controversial, at least to me.
    Thanks Dr. Silver....just to be clear then, you claim to have such results with your paper currently under review? What would be the impediments to then bringing such a potential therapy to clinical trial? I know in the past, Dr. Young has publicly offered to help bring some of the therapies you've been working on to his clinical trial networks....if you're so skeptical of work that doesn't consider the "scar" wouldn't the best vindication be to bring one of your lab's therapies to these networks?