Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
No.

The spinal cord regenerates. This regrowth is being inhibited (not ceased, inhibited). Some suggested factors inhibiting regeneration include:
the scar
chemicals in your spinal cord
your immune system

Scientists are trying to determine how to best deal with whatever is inhibiting regeneration/regrowth/whatever you want to call it so that the spinal cord can regenerate much better.

It's like if you were driving down the road and the speed limit was 5 MPH. Scientists are trying to figure out to raise the speed limit to 60 MPH.

This is why there are scientists trying to figure out a treatment that will get it to regenerate better.

He's talking about actual axon growth man.

If you want drive from NY to LA, even at 5 mph you'll eventually get there. No matter how long after SCI, your axons will never reach its target destination. The axons in the spinal cord stop... 0 mph.

You first try to tell me the spinal cord regenerates by providing a link on peripheral nerves that do regenerate to their targets, but unfortunately are not in the spinal cord. Next you tell me my spinal cord is regenerating, just slowly. That is just flat out wrong. Now you are saying that the spinal cord regenerates because it would but is being blocked at the lesion. Potential does not equal actual. The fact that it is blocked in mammals by a lesion means that the spinal cord doesn't regenerate. I'm not arguing why the spinal cord doesn't regenerate, I'm stating that it doesn't.

You can keep trying to save face by changing your belief from the spinal cord regenerating slowly to it being inhibited, and by arguing semantics on "cease" vs "inhibit", but the spinal cord does not regenerate on its own. Some axons may try to, but they never do. End of story.