Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 532

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Paolo,

    Penetrating wounds of the spinal cord are relatively rare. For example, we did not see any case of a penetrating or transecting wound of the spinal cord in 41 ASIA A patients that we transplanted cells into so far, 28 of which are chronic and 13 were subacute.
    Subacute? Which trial is this? I was under the impression that of the patients in both the Hong Kong and Kunming trials were chronics....I went back and saw you mention these subacute patients a few times and also checked clinicaltrials.gov which seems to have a separate trial for acutes and subacutes (NCT01471613)... Is it right to assume then that you were talking about the improved locomotor, sensory, motor scores in terms of chronic patients? If not, are the subacutes getting the intradural decompression? I'm sorry if you've clarified before but suddenly I'm very confused....and I think it would just be nice to know if your personal observations from before were from chronics or subacutes. Thanks!

  2. #92
    Senior Member Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    very interesting. Have they done MRIs on him before and after to determine how he regained his function.
    Chaz,

    When Daniel introduced himself to me a year and a half ago saying he's an ex-quad I had to hear his experience and this is what keeps my hopes up. He said that since his injury in his mid-20s, doctors and neurosurgeons said that in no way he would regain function, there were no follow ups regarding his cord after he left the hospital. He went on with his life I guess...

    I didn't ask about MRI's, He's on his mid 50s now, I assumed this technology wasn't available back then. I asked him about his ASIA scores but he couldn’t answer saying that the ASIA standards didn't exist at that time neither... but from what he described to me it sounds like he was an ASIA B or C Incomplete...

    He's one of my main inspirations, he’s the living proof to me that his chronic so called ‘scar’ didn’t stop him recovering along his amazingly unusual natural recovery.

    That’s why I reacted in disbelief of this ‘scar’ barrier theory. To me the debates about it are just getting old and see no point arguing about it. Fiber bundles, white matter growing across injury site is a more interesting and realistic to me as I see that it can most likely ‘provoke’ how Daniel recovered.

    Any researcher who would like a personal meeting with Daniel here in Montreal for proof/his testimonial, I’d be glad to arrange this. PM me
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

    ***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

  3. #93
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Moe, I believe the man recovered. But my guess is he recovered from Guillame Barre Sybdrome. Unless he had xrays showing a broken neck it sounds like GBS. I read a book about a woman who recovered from GBS after 15-16 years. As an incomplete sounding low quad she swam a lot and thought that helped. We did have ASIA levels 30 years ago. Actually, the first MRIs showed up about then too.

    Patience about some improvement from this life is hard. Like Jerry, I think I've read his all of Einstein's essays too. He was very big on hope and the ability of humans to harness to one problem and find an answer. I agree.

    But...if one of you newbies mentions those damned Zebrafish again outside of having one at home in a hobby aquarium I will find you and send you flying down a hill. For my first 10 years that is all I heard..zebrafish.

    And researchers cannot hurry the FDA without possibly inciting us to go to DC and lock those bureacrats inside until they approve trials and then the trials take forever too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Chaz,

    When Daniel introduced himself to me a year and a half ago saying he's an ex-quad I had to hear his experience and this is what keeps my hopes up. He said that since his injury in his mid-20s, doctors and neurosurgeons said that in no way he would regain function, there were no follow ups regarding his cord after he left the hospital. He went on with his life I guess...

    I didn't ask about MRI's, He's on his mid 50s now, I assumed this technology wasn't available back then. I asked him about his ASIA scores but he couldn’t answer saying that the ASIA standards didn't exist at that time neither... but from what he described to me it sounds like he was an ASIA B or C Incomplete...

    He's one of my main inspirations, he’s the living proof to me that his chronic so called ‘scar’ didn’t stop him recovering along his amazingly unusual natural recovery.

    That’s why I reacted in disbelief of this ‘scar’ barrier theory. To me the debates about it are just getting old and see no point arguing about it. Fiber bundles, white matter growing across injury site is a more interesting and realistic to me as I see that it can most likely ‘provoke’ how Daniel recovered.

    Any researcher who would like a personal meeting with Daniel here in Montreal for proof/his testimonial, I’d be glad to arrange this. PM me
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  4. #94
    Senior Member Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    485

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Moe, I believe the man recovered. But my guess is he recovered from Guillame Barre Sybdrome. Unless he had xrays showing a broken neck it sounds like GBS. I read a book about a woman who recovered from GBS after 15-16 years. As an incomplete sounding low quad she swam a lot and thought that helped. We did have ASIA levels 30 years ago. Actually, the first MRIs showed up about then too.
    Fair enough, I'll try to call him and ask in more detail. I'll ask him for the xrays to make sure if the xrays show a broken vetebrea or not to make sure. I'll try to get more details and confirm a few things before I say anything else regarding this. But his accident was that he fell off a 2 story elevator pitt... I cant't remember for sure but I Think he said that he broke his spine in 2 places, higher and lower. but I'll confirm...
    Moe
    Last edited by Moe; 12-31-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

    ***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

  5. #95
    Senior Member Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    485
    Sue,

    I think you ment Guillain-Barre syndrome and not Guillame Barre.

    I check in more detail about GBS...

    "Guillain-Barre syndrome is a serious disorder that occurs when the body's defense (immune) system mistakenly attacks part of the nervous system. This leads to nerve inflammation that causes muscle weeness and other symptoms."

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001704/

    Is this what you were reffering to? I may be wrong but what I red about it it so far it does not resemble Daniel's case at all... His case was an injury and not a disorder.
    Last edited by Moe; 12-31-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added paragraph and spelling
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

    ***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

  6. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    doctors and neurosurgeons said that in no way he would regain function, there were no follow ups regarding his cord after he left the hospital. He went on with his life I guess...
    I hear this anecdote a lot.

    I asked him about his ASIA scores but he couldn’t answer saying that the ASIA standards didn't exist at that time neither... but from what he described to me it sounds like he was an ASIA B or C Incomplete...
    Exactly. Most incompletes recover walking ability. I've read that
    ASIA C's have a greater than 90% chance at recovering unassisted
    walking.

  7. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Fair enough, I'll try to call him and ask in more detail. I'll ask him for the xrays to make sure if the xrays show a broken vetebrea or not to make sure. I'll try to get more details and confirm a few things before I say anything else regarding this. But his accident was that he fell off a 2 story elevator pitt... I cant't remember for sure but I Think he said that he broke his spine in 2 places, higher and lower. but I'll confirm...
    Moe
    Getting GBS the same day you fell off an elevator pit would be an extraordinary coincidence...did he regain BB function at all?

  8. #98
    so no one ever looked at a cadaver sci spinal cord?
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

  9. #99
    Senior Member Moe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    Getting GBS the same day you fell off an elevator pit would be an extraordinary coincidence...did he regain BB function at all?
    That's a good question, I was shy to ask then since family members were present. But I'll call and get back to you, I want to know his sexual function as well... also wanted to ask a few more details...
    I'll be back and share the answer. I try tomorrow since its a day off and wish him a happy new year at the same time...
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

    ***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

  10. #100
    Senior Member lunasicc42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Lutz, Fl USA*********C456
    Posts
    2,286
    and to think that you were the one bitching about off topic posts. Then you make all these off topic posts. Moe... Back on topic!!!!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

    "what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "


    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Similar Threads

  1. ? for jerry silver
    By havok in forum Cure
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM
  2. Jerry Silver talks to me
    By Christopher Paddon in forum Cure
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 09:53 AM
  3. open question to wise and jerry silver
    By lunasicc42 in forum Cure
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM
  4. jerry Silver wins Javits Award
    By Max in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •