Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 242434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Silver and Other Discussion from ChinaSCINet Update

I'm looking for a timeline. If it's five years .. I'll struggle though.

If it's ten, I'll have to look at what's available now and none of it is appealing.

If it's seven, it's going to be a very long seven miserable years.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Dear Lynnifer,

I can't predict a timeline. I would have thought that chondroitinase would have been in clinical trials by now. All I can tell you for certain is that we have seen recovery of bladder function in severely and chronically cord contused rodents that have been treated with our bridging strategy. How long will it take for neurosurgeons to attempt this in humans in the USA, I don't know. I can only continue to provide positive data in hopes that an outstanding neurosurgical group will move forward into humans. I present Grand Rounds at the Mass General Hospital next week so, who knows, maybe things will start in Boston. I can assure you this. I will never stop trying.

Quote Originally Posted by jsilver View Post
    Dear Lynnifer,

I can't predict a timeline. I would have thought that chondroitinase would have been in clinical trials by now. All I can tell you for certain is that we have seen recovery of bladder function in severely and chronically cord contused rodents that have been treated with our bridging strategy. How long will it take for neurosurgeons to attempt this in humans in the USA, I don't know. I can only continue to provide positive data in hopes that an outstanding neurosurgical group will move forward into humans. I present Grand Rounds at the Mass General Hospital next week so, who knows, maybe things will start in Boston. I can assure you this. I will never stop trying.
    Thank you Dr. Silver. You toil in relative obscurity but you are truly doing something great. I will never forget your name.

Look at that. A naturally occurring anti-inflammatory... doin work.
    1. J Neurosurg Spine. 2012 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print] Recovery from spinal cord injury using naturally occurring antiinflammatory compound curcumin. Ormond DR, Peng H, Zeman R, Das K, Murali R, Jhanwar-Uniyal M. Departments of Neurosurgery. Object Spinal cord injury (SCI) is a debilitating disease. Primary SCI results from direct injury to the spinal cord, whereas secondary injury is a side effect from subsequent edema and ischemia followed by activation of proinflammatory cytokines. These cytokines activate the prosurvival molecule nuclear factor-κB and generate obstacles in spinal cord reinnervation due to gliosis. Curcumin longa is an active compound found in turmeric, which acts as an antiinflammatory agent primarily by inhibiting nuclear factor-κB. Here, the authors study the effect of curcumin on SCI recovery. Methods Fourteen female Sprague-Dawley rats underwent T9-10 laminectomy and spinal cord contusion using a weight-drop apparatus. Within 30 minutes after contusion and weekly thereafter, curcumin (60 mg/kg/ml body weight in dimethyl sulfoxide) or dimethyl sulfoxide (1 ml/kg body weight) was administered via percutaneous epidural injection at the injury site. Spinal cord injury recovery was assessed weekly by scoring hindlimb motor function. Animals were killed 6 weeks postcontusion for histopathological analysis of spinal cords and soleus muscle weight evaluation. Results Curcumin-treated rats had improved motor function compared with controls starting from Week 1. Body weight gain significantly improved, correlating with improved Basso-Beattie-Bresnahan scores. Soleus muscle weight was greater in curcumin-treated rats than controls. Histopathological analysis validated these results with increased neural element mass with less gliosis at the contusion site in curcumin-treated rats than controls. Conclusions Epidural administration of curcumin resulted in improved recovery from SCI. This occurred with no adverse effects noted in experimental animals. Therefore, curcumin treatment may translate into a novel therapy for humans with SCI.

Dear Lynnifer,

Thanks for trying and not giving up.

Is it just the funding the issue or some other problem ?
    Could you do the procedure or begin the procedure in another country?
    And please don't go national on me as we are all humans and i don't really give a rats bum which country it is done in, as long as its ligitimate.
    If its it happens to bne the USA then im going to have to ask a member here if its ok to stay awhile.

Dear Lynnifer,

Thanks for all you do for us

Dear Lynnifer,

Hi Jerry and Lynnifer,

Why not take a little bit more proactive stance and contact neurosurgical networks and top-notch neurosurgeons also with specialties in stem cell research and so on such as professor Michael G. Fehlings from the University of Toronto and get a meeting with him to discuss strategies for clinical trials on chondroitinase, or for that matter on other remedies. It shouldn’t be to hard to set up such a meeting and Lynnifer as a Canadian could easily get in contact with dr. Fehlings to ask for such a meeting. No need to wait for the W2W Boston meeting, but as a tip for that meeting if dr. Fehlings is interested in collaboration, why not invite him to the meeting as well. It could have been quite interesting and Toronto isn’t that far from Boston

Already tried to do that via my urologist, Dr Lesley Carr. No one wants to be creative.

It was my uro-gyne who did my partial hysto who wondered about a tissue expander in the bladder (she used to be in plastics - Dr Patricia Lee).

First priority is bladder capacity ...

Thanks Dr Silver. Perfect answer for a perplexing problem. Toronto is lovely in the Spring and you can walk on top of the CN Tower! Dinner Cruise on Lake Ontario? Niagara Region has the Falls and world-class wines!?! lol
    Last edited by lynnifer; 02-19-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Solan View Post
    Paolo,
    I'll give you an honest answere. I don't know! This trial won't involve me since I am Asia D and therefore I am waiting it out and haven't tried to find out the latest news about it.
    Please don't twist my answere around to there not being a trial.
    Solan,

thanks for your honest answer. I think you should still be interested in finding out more about SCINet Norway as if the therapy is safe and effective in ASIA A patients it may work also in ASIA D. Also the protocol in Norway could be designed in a way to include ASIA D, so if I were you I would look for more info. If you do, please let us know.

About twisting, I never did, but I agree that it may look like I do that sometimes for people who don't follow closely the discussions. My intention when I quote a small part of a post is to point out a specific and very rilevant detail that people may not catch.
    The devil is in the details.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post

Of course. With regards to my question about the purity. What makes you think that the formula that Seigakaku have is not of the purity required for the spinal cord?

Cheers
    Fly Pelican Fly
    Check out AMSBIO. Researchers have been using their research regeant after Seigakaku shut off sales. This is a new highly purified according to the pdf announced today.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20130221/Highly-purified-Chondroitinase-ABC-for-neural-regeneration-research-launched-by-AMSBIO.aspx