Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: proud of myself but am now suffering

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864

    proud of myself but am now suffering

    so as many of you know, we got slammed with a ton of snow here in western ny. it's around 17" the day after, i was in a lot of pain so couldnt clear off my car. i knew that'd be a mistake as a layer of ice forms at the bottom the longer you wait.

    tonight an old college friend came (we met in 2001 when i first went to college) and she asked me to go out. so i went out and i was hacking away at the snow on my car like a beast. i only wore 2 sweaters as i knew i'd be hot from the exertion. the snow had packed in a bit and there was a layer of ice under it making it harder to get the stuff off with my telescoping brush. so i had to put on my brakes, lean over and scrape back and forth and then push the heavy snow off. it took about 30min of constant work to get it done!

    i was so proud of myself!!

    as soon as i got in the car i noticed my elbows(which i have severe triceps tendonosis(sp?)) and my back were PULSATING with pain!!!! my back was spasming, i could feel the tendons twitching/pulsating but drove anyway(almost hit a deer :/) and talked and had coffee with my friend as we havent seen each other, but talk on the phone, for the better part of over 10yrs!! i was in so much pain i was sweaty and a bit dizzy. got home and took some pain meds but they arent touching the pain. :/ it'll be a looong night for me.

    it sucks as tomorrow, a friend is bringing over bookshelves for me and we'll be moving stuff in my apartment and unloading books out of boxes to put in the shelves. so another day of lifting and moving :/
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  2. #2
    You should be proud! Don't be ashamed to go lightly on the bookshelf project either. I'm sitting here realizing that elbow bursitus has become an annual ritual. It HURTS. It SUCKS. I may go to a doctor here in SF. I'm pretty tired of the one in KS that just goes off on his spiel about all the things he won't prescribe. I'm sure his medal is in the mail but meanwhile I have a life to try to live.

    I need a doctor that would like to help me. Maybe that is too much to ask. A doctor that says he wished I'd come in when I had salivary gland stones-so he could give me antibiotics-is really nobody to have on your team. He did xray my elbow last year, to confirm it was bursitus and not broken.

    Antibiotics don't really treat stones. Or maybe they do in the long run. In the short term, stones need pain meds. Xrays don't treat bursitus either.

    Don't know why he bothered. Maybe if it had been broken he could have told me all the meds he wouldn't prescribe? That was the bursitus prescription.

    In a nutshell..."Sux to be you!"

    Anyway, I am proud of you. Nobody but us will ever understand the difficulty of going out for a simple cup of coffee (w/ 17" of snow.) I bet you were hacking your ass off to get to your windshield!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    i'm sure i looked like some comedy show. i'm so damn short! (4'9" standing) i was trying to whack the snow without breaking my windows or windshield.

    i went to the pain clinic. because i had a diagnosis for my elbows they decided to ignore that (whut??) and then proceeded to tell me that i had muscle pain (no shit sherlock) but that i didnt qualify for trigger point injections. so i was given a choice of effexor or trigger point injections as my choices for treatment.

    they must be high on something. so i'm eating tylenol #3 like candy that my pcp gave me. it does nothing.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  4. #4
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Shoveled a bit and paid for it here too. AB Co-worker and I were just discussing this today as she was sore as well.

    Some mysterious person either at work or my condo building has cleared it for me the past couple of years ... since it snowed all night, I only had 2" to clear out of five. No one will own up to it!

    I wish I had a remote start for my car ... but I end up cleaning it off, then hopping in and waiting for 'defrog' to get the rest.

    You should be proud though!!!

    By the way, I'm off to see those two gentlemen (facebook reference) tomorrow night at their basketball game! Debating whether to make a sign that says, "Anthony and Joel rock!" lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  5. #5
    I've learned the hard way many times that doing some things independently isn't always worth the cost even though it feels absolutely fantastic.

    The great philosopher (Clint Eastwood) once said that a man needs to know his limitations. Maybe it applies to women as well.

    Hope you feel better and recover fast.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    i'd love a remote starter but here it still doesnt help too much but at least the car would be warm when u get in!

    when my elbows act up my fingers start to curl more causing more joint pain lol all for a cup of coffee!! but hey, the server gave me a free cup and the company was worth it. no idea why a place for ppl with disabilities in a city known for crazy snowfall doesnt have covered parking.

    oh wait. yes i do. we're disabled so we're supposed to just sit in our apartments and have ppl drive us if we want to go anywhere cuz NO WAY can u drive/be an independent person wanting to have a life!!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I've learned the hard way many times that doing some things independently isn't always worth the cost even though it feels absolutely fantastic.

    The great philosopher (Clint Eastwood) once said that a man needs to know his limitations. Maybe it applies to women as well.

    Hope you feel better and recover fast.
    no one around to help me. i realized once i started that i shouldve asked the friend to stop by my place to help dig me out/pick me up. but i'm on my own, no aide. and friends arent in town to help out so it's do it on my own or stay in. i know my limitations but my life is mostly about ignoring them or else i'd get nowhere fast.

    harsh lesson for the single gimp. suck it up and deal is my motto. so now i'm licking my wounds lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    no one around to help me. i realized once i started that i shouldve asked the friend to stop by my place to help dig me out/pick me up. but i'm on my own, no aide. and friends arent in town to help out so it's do it on my own or stay in. i know my limitations but my life is mostly about ignoring them or else i'd get nowhere fast.

    harsh lesson for the single gimp. suck it up and deal is my motto. so now i'm licking my wounds lol
    I hear ya!

  9. #9
    17 inches, that's a lot. We had a similar storm a couple years back. The snow piles were 10 feet high. Trying to see with snow piles that high is nearly impossible for a wheeler. It makes you feel like a mouse in a maze, trying to find your way. LOL I'm sure you know what I mean. I bet you have some huge snow banks where you are now.

    We have snow in the forecast today. We're expecting 6 inches this time. I hate clearing my vehicle too. Most of the time when I'm done, I look like a human snowball. I need to find a better way to get the snow off, without managing to pull most of it down onto my feet all the time. One time I nearly got frostbite, because I didn't realize how much snow had accumulated on my footrests. Now, I wrap my feet up in a towel before I go out to help prevent that from happening. So far it seems to be serving its purpose.

    Anyway, I'm glad you finally got to see your friend and have coffee. Sorry for the aches and pains though. I think that is great that you didn't let the snow stop you, in spite of it all. You should be proud.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    17 inches, that's a lot. We had a similar storm a couple years back. The snow piles were 10 feet high. Trying to see with snow piles that high is nearly impossible for a wheeler. It makes you feel like a mouse in a maze, trying to find your way. LOL I'm sure you know what I mean. I bet you have some huge snow banks where you are now.

    We have snow in the forecast today. We're expecting 6 inches this time. I hate clearing my vehicle too. Most of the time when I'm done, I look like a human snowball. I need to find a better way to get the snow off, without managing to pull most of it down onto my feet all the time. One time I nearly got frostbite, because I didn't realize how much snow had accumulated on my footrests. Now, I wrap my feet up in a towel before I go out to help prevent that from happening. So far it seems to be serving its purpose.

    Anyway, I'm glad you finally got to see your friend and have coffee. Sorry for the aches and pains though. I think that is great that you didn't let the snow stop you, in spite of it all. You should be proud.
    my method is more of a push method so i do not get the snow on me. the freewheel helped as there was a foot of snow around my car and the rest was clear so i could roll on that with the freewheel but yea, scrape then push lol

    ty. i am proud. had a good time and she got me out of my hibernating phase lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 07:11 PM
  2. I am so very proud!
    By Faithful1990 in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 10:03 PM
  3. What are you proud of?
    By teena in forum Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2002, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •