Thread: Latissimus Dorsi pain after laminectomy. questions

Latissimus Dorsi pain after laminectomy. questions

After waking up from surgery to get rid of my cyrinx I had terrible pain on the right side of my back, right shoulder, right armpit, and then into my lower back and right hip. Whenever I'd eat with a spoon and bring the spoon up to my mouth my hip would ache and I started bring my mouth down to my spoon instead.

I didn't consider the hip pain to have anything to do with the back pain until the other day; a year and a half after my surgery. Until then, whenever I raised any of these pains to the surgeon, I was told that it was neuropain or the damage already done by the syrinx since it had gone up to C5 (but i never had this pain before the syrinx was removed).

The surgery was done at T6 and was an open lamimectomy.

The other day I was at rehab and had a lot of pain on my lower rib cage and my back. My physiotherapist was massaging my back and noticed a lot of knots. When I asked him if this pain could be all connected, he took out a book and shows me the latissimus dorsi and I think I found the answer to all the pain since it started immediately after the operation.

Would the doctor have to cut the latissium dorsi in order to do the laminectomy? If this is the case it would solve my pain puzzle. I've never believed that it was neuropain, but when I'm told over and over that it is, you start to believe it even though after four years of living with burning neuropain in my burning legs, I knew instinctively that the quality of my hip and back was different.

If it is pain from my latissimus dorsi, can rehab fix it or would it have to be more surgery?
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

It sounds like you may have developed trigger point pain. PT including trigger point massage may be very helpful, and you may also want to discuss trigger point injections with your physiatrist. Muscles are not usually cut in an laminectomy, although they may be bruised or stretched to get to the surgical area.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It sounds like you may have developed trigger point pain. PT including trigger point massage may be very helpful, and you may also want to discuss trigger point injections with your physiatrist. Muscles are not usually cut in an laminectomy, although they may be bruised or stretched to get to the surgical area.

(KLD)
    Thank you so much.
    Went to rehab yesterday and talked with my PT and it made perfect sense to him. He found three or four points and went to work on them. It was painful when he dealt with those knots, but a good painful.
    In about thirty minutes I felt great. Of course a year and a half of pain didn't get solved in thirty minutes, but it did affect the shooting pains in my hips almost instantly. He reckons that this is also the probable cause of the extra burning in my legs and the spasticity that started immediately after the surgery.
    My big hope is that we can get it all and then I can start reducing my meds!

Thank you. This is truly changing my life!!!
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King