Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    I kind of agree that we with SCI would have a hard time over training. Most AB's are on their feet all day. Then they might hit the gym 3 times a week and that would certainly suffice given their level of activity during the day.

We are not on our feet all day. Our legs get no where near as much regular use. Therefore we can spend more time working them in the gym.

I try to stay on my feet as much as I can and haven't used my wheelchair for 3 months. I now have to keep over training in mind but rarely approach that threshold. Prior to leaving the wheelchair I trained 5 days a week at least and pushed it very hard. Since I wasn't using my legs to walk and get around I was able to really work them much more often.

I also like to get my exercise in forms other than work outs. knee surfing, hiking, throwing the lacrosse ball with my kids. I think what I ma doing is working well with my recovery while at the same time works well with my life and work schedule. There is no one size fits all model.
    FTR I in no way support any of the speculation about training contained in this statement.

I really need to get back into the gym. I use my walker at home and when I'm going into other people's houses or into a small store. I do use my wheelchair at my job and if I were to go grocery shopping or to a mall. I did stay at the Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia for 30 days for a therapy-based program. Five days a week we did some type of physical activity for 4 or more hours a day. After those 30 days I felt amazing! However, going to college and then moving and becoming a professional has really deterred me from keeping up with physical activity. I would just encourage people to do as much as you can during the week.

Also, I tend to disagree that it is easier and less exhausting for someone with a SCI to work out all the time. I know that I get tired just as quickly as someone that is on their feet all day.

I am not saying that we don't get tired. Just that it is hard to over work muscles if you aren't using them. Hell, I'm tired all the time.

That isn't speculation about training. It is what I actually did and do to walk again. I don't pass myself off as an expert, but I did manage to learn to walk again less than six months after a complete fracture dislocation of my spine. For whatever that's worth.

Happy New Year.

Mflounlacker - I completely agree with you muscle wise, but I have to caution against joint, tendon and bone overuse. I push myself hard, but there are so many weird asymmetries and bad habits in my gait that concern me. The ability to do other sorts of damage needs to be respected somewhat, not that I always do.
    L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Wow! Is this the most responses ever to a Exercise and Recovery post?

This article summarizing the effects of exercise on lifespan may be of interest to some. Little things add up in fitness is the take away, and I have found it to be good for me, and more and more true as I move into my 8th decade of this existence.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...up-in-fitness/

I thought KLD gave a sensible answer to a straight forward question, but I got a little lost in the maze on the way to the last post.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.