Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    There is a saying: there is no such thing as over training, there is only under eating. I personally prescribe a lower volume program but what works for me may not work for mj.
    Sure thing captian america. Even the pro bodybuilders who eat 10,000 calories a day and shoot horse steroids in their ass take days off between muscle groups to let them recover. What you tear down you have to let build up.

I go to a pretty good gym. I'm told most people working on strength, train 3x a week.
    I myself don't train for size because my balance is bad, huge muscles would only make me top heavy. I like what Al said, I look at life as a challenge and always make things more physical than I need to. (bonus exercise). Drive on.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Sure thing captian america. Even the pro bodybuilders who eat 10,000 calories a day and shoot horse steroids in their ass take days off between muscle groups to let them recover. What you tear down you have to let build up.
    Thank you for your input.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=no+suc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I am Canadian by the way.

Oh crip, no way I wasn't responding to you no, no!

I meant the response from sci nurse saying she had 40 years experience in rehabbing people. Just after someone said they found her snap diagnoses of a guys exercise program a bit presumptuous. She responded with the above "40 years experience spiel" I found THAT a little arrogant.

Not you crip, no way, sorry mate!

It's this bloody "quoting" thing in the forums that can even get taken out of context....that or my dumbnessness.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

If you can work out every day without rest you aren't lifting heavily enough, but like you said.. canadian

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    Thank you for your input.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=no+suc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I am Canadian by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    Oh crip, no way I wasn't responding to you no, no!

I meant the response from sci nurse saying she had 40 years experience in rehabbing people. Just after someone said they found her snap diagnoses of a guys exercise program a bit presumptuous. She responded with the above "40 years experience spiel" I found THAT a little arrogant.

Not you crip, no way, sorry mate!

It's this bloody "quoting" thing in the forums that can even get taken out of context....that or my dumbnessness.
    No worries man! If KLD had said from the get go 'I know this person's ability, goals etc. and I have a lot of experience' I wouldn't have said anything at all, I just found it a bit suspect that there was some arbitrary definitive answer she had based on what seemed to me very little relevant information... I think we are of the same mind...

Also, not really trying to offend anyone, just trying to give my honest help. Take it for what it's worth I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    If you can work out every day without rest you aren't lifting heavily enough, but like you said.. canadian
    I think that's probably true, but true overtaining is quite rare, most people AREN'T lifting hard enough to achieve that. Especially a completely untrained individual.

Like I said, I subscribe to a relatively low volume program but more than one way to skin a cat...

Have you ever skinned at cat?

When I'm on a regular schedule I work out 5 days straight with one off day. But I target different groups each day and never the same group twice in a row.

I kind of agree that we with SCI would have a hard time over training. Most AB's are on their feet all day. Then they might hit the gym 3 times a week and that would certainly suffice given their level of activity during the day.

We are not on our feet all day. Our legs get no where near as much regular use. Therefore we can spend more time working them in the gym.

I try to stay on my feet as much as I can and haven't used my wheelchair for 3 months. I now have to keep over training in mind but rarely approach that threshold. Prior to leaving the wheelchair I trained 5 days a week at least and pushed it very hard. Since I wasn't using my legs to walk and get around I was able to really work them much more often.

I also like to get my exercise in forms other than work outs. knee surfing, hiking, throwing the lacrosse ball with my kids. I think what I ma doing is working well with my recovery while at the same time works well with my life and work schedule. There is no one size fits all model.