Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Well, let's see you're a walker too. Everything, everyday, all day. Really, I started out barely getting across the room, than around the room, outside, and beyond. I've turned everything I do into a workout of sorts, walk a little farther, move a little more, lift a bit more. Pretty soon it's like "why can't I be normal again?" If you turn everything into an easy workout, you don't get tired, stay focused, get inspired to do that "just one more thing" that makes it all worthwhile. It's easier, more natural, and helps build up a flow of things that can be worked on/out. I don't think it's how hard, but how much, that's what helps build and maintain the core, and endurance you sound like you're looking for. You know what you want, I think I know what you want. It's up to you to figure it out, set the goals and achieve it.

If you saw the size of my calfs in that burn pic, you would think I work out. They are enormous, I don't work out, not with weights, or machines at all, it's just the way I use my body. I've got a tremendous amount of endurance and core strength now, I didn't when I first came home from the hospital 9 years ago. 50 feet was 50 miles for the old me, it took a few years and I never thought I'd be able to do what I do now. And that includes catching fire and not feeling it, but, don't go there. I've got my sights set a bit high, but that's me, where have you set yours? Go from there. Try to take a natural course of what you want to achieve and it's a lot easier. All it takes is time, unfortunately a lot more than it did for the old you and me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Based on my experience and knowledge of exercise physiology...and nearly 40 years of working in the rehab field.

(KLD)
    lol...your initial answer was plausible, sensible and does speak of experience.

The fatuous remark quoted speaks, oddly, of arrogance and yet it also betrays a sense insecurity.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    And how would YOU know that?? I have corresponded with this member many times, and read most of his posts since he joined in 2005. You have posted here 36 times and been a member for 2 months. Not a big track record to go on.

(KLD)
    Exactly why I asked him specific questions about his current abilities, routine etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    lol...your initial answer was plausible, sensible and does speak of experience.

The fatuous remark quoted speaks, oddly, of arrogance and yet it also betrays a sense insecurity.
    I have years of actual training under my belt with results. I don't think any qualified person would ever have such a specific answer without wanting to know more about the situation first. If KLD knows this person's routine already and knows his/her results and goals then her advice is probably fine. I personally would like to know more before suggesting that anything. If you think that's arrogant that's fine. If you think that's insecurity you're entitled to believe that too. I am simply offering my expertise to help mj.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Uh, sorry. If your goal is to gain strength and muscle mass weight training one day then taking the next day off is pretty standard. When I was AB I would train on a 4 day 1 day off cycle (back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/abs, legs) but I lifted for years. Given that this person asked such a basic question KLD's answer is the answer anyone would give.
    There is a saying: there is no such thing as over training, there is only under eating. I personally prescribe a lower volume program but what works for me may not work for mj.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    I have years of actual training under my belt with results. I don't think any qualified person would ever have such a specific answer without wanting to know more about the situation first. If KLD knows this person's routine already and knows his/her results and goals then her advice is probably fine. I personally would like to know more before suggesting that anything. If you think that's arrogant that's fine. If you think that's insecurity you're entitled to believe that too. I am simply offering my expertise to help mj.

HUH...? What have I missed?. I was quoting SCINURSE...I'm lost now!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    Mj, what does your routine look like currently? What are your goals? Do you have any deficits? I saw from your profile you are a walking quad, can you grip? Do you have pretty 'normal' leg function?
    Ya my grip is about 3/5. I currentluy work out twice a week each muscle., legs, arms, etc. My goal is to gain size and strength.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    Ya my grip is about 3/5. I currentluy work out twice a week each muscle., legs, arms, etc. My goal is to gain size and strength.
    What exercises do you do currently? Are you currently seeing strength increases on your current routine? Do you have time constraints or concerns (ie job, family, etc.) and do you feel like you could do more? How much sleep do you get on average?

Depending on your abilities it would probably be best to stick mostly to compound movements.

Both strength and size are also highly dependent on dietary habits as well but the type of routine you do also has an influence.

Quote Originally Posted by WahWah View Post
    HUH...? What have I missed?. I was quoting SCINURSE...I'm lost now!
    I thought you were suggesting I was being arrogant and insecure and I was responding to that, perhaps I misunderstood!

YOU SAID IT!!!!! You not kidding! This is EXACTLY what you need to do and you sure as hell better keep your brain thinking this way. Things start to happen you are not even looking for. I 2ND YOUR COMMENT!

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Well, let's see you're a walker too. Everything, everyday, all day. Really, I started out barely getting across the room, than around the room, outside, and beyond. I've turned everything I do into a workout of sorts, walk a little farther, move a little more, lift a bit more. Pretty soon it's like "why can't I be normal again?" If you turn everything into an easy workout, you don't get tired, stay focused, get inspired to do that "just one more thing" that makes it all worthwhile. It's easier, more natural, and helps build up a flow of things that can be worked on/out. I don't think it's how hard, but how much, that's what helps build and maintain the core, and endurance you sound like you're looking for. You know what you want, I think I know what you want. It's up to you to figure it out, set the goals and achieve it.

If you saw the size of my calfs in that burn pic, you would think I work out. They are enormous, I don't work out, not with weights, or machines at all, it's just the way I use my body. I've got a tremendous amount of endurance and core strength now, I didn't when I first came home from the hospital 9 years ago. 50 feet was 50 miles for the old me, it took a few years and I never thought I'd be able to do what I do now. And that includes catching fire and not feeling it, but, don't go there. I've got my sights set a bit high, but that's me, where have you set yours? Go from there. Try to take a natural course of what you want to achieve and it's a lot easier. All it takes is time, unfortunately a lot more than it did for the old you and me.