Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Which one would you recommend to gain strength and muscle for someone with SCI?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

You will make more gains, and maintain those gains better with a 3X weekly schedule, with rest days in between.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You will make more gains, and maintain those gains better with a 3X weekly schedule, with rest days in between.

(KLD)
    I'm curious to know what you're basing this on, especially without any particular knowledge of his routine or physical abilities.

Based on my experience and knowledge of exercise physiology...and nearly 40 years of working in the rehab field.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by mj23 View Post
    Which one would you recommend to gain strength and muscle for someone with SCI?
    Mj, what does your routine look like currently? What are your goals? Do you have any deficits? I saw from your profile you are a walking quad, can you grip? Do you have pretty 'normal' leg function?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Based on my experience and knowledge of exercise physiology...and nearly 40 years of working in the rehab field.

(KLD)
    I think you're a terrific resource on here KLD, but IMO it seems nearly negligent to recommend and exercise schedule without knowing any particulars of the patient. You don't know anything about this person. Would you recommend a rehab program for someone without knowing a single thing about them? From what I recall about my rehab there were a significant number of evaluative tests before a program was even developed...

Now I may not 'know' better, but I think that we need to figure out a few baselines first... 3 times a week is pretty standard exercise program, but 1,2,3,4,5,6 or even 7 might be optimal...

I think that resistance training is the only way to build muscle. Lower reps and higher weights. However, there is so much more that goes into training following SCI. Balance and dexterity are huge and without them all the strength in the world won't help you.

I work on my strength twice a week and work on balance and endurance at least 2 or 3 days a week.

I usually do 20 minutes of cardio prior to weight training (stationary bike or eliptical) and attempt to keep my weight training exercises moving in order to keep my heart rate elevated during my entire work out as well.

I do yoga style balance exercises, crutch hike hills, or ride my bike other days and try to allow for least one day of solid rest a week. It would depend how active you are in regular life. I try to stay on my feet most days as much as I can, so I do need to be conscious to give my body a rest.

I have not left assistive devices behind yet so you are way ahead of me. I plan to one day though. After being told I would never walk again, I will take what I can get right now.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    I think you're a terrific resource on here KLD, but IMO it seems nearly negligent to recommend and exercise schedule without knowing any particulars of the patient. You don't know anything about this person. Would you recommend a rehab program for someone without knowing a single thing about them? From what I recall about my rehab there were a significant number of evaluative tests before a program was even developed...

Now I may not 'know' better, but I think that we need to figure out a few baselines first... 3 times a week is pretty standard exercise program, but 1,2,3,4,5,6 or even 7 might be optimal...
    Uh, sorry. If your goal is to gain strength and muscle mass weight training one day then taking the next day off is pretty standard. When I was AB I would train on a 4 day 1 day off cycle (back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/abs, legs) but I lifted for years. Given that this person asked such a basic question KLD's answer is the answer anyone would give.

mj..I workout 5 days/week. 2 hr/day weights. 2 hr/day walking. I keep adding to that. It did not start like that. In addition I have a dog and take care of my house myself. You NEED to keep your mental thoughts parallel with your physical ability or you will get pissed very fast. May need to start at a minisclue amount simply becasue physical not capable, but keep at it and it should keep improving.

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    You don't know anything about this person.
    And how would YOU know that?? I have corresponded with this member many times, and read most of his posts since he joined in 2005. You have posted here 36 times and been a member for 2 months. Not a big track record to go on.

(KLD)