Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help..Looking for a handbike

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    Where do you live Jimmy? I have a couple of older handcycles that I could sell, but it costs too much to ship them.
    Hi JHeath.. I live in MA..If you're anywhere in New England area I can have a truck meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Mark Brereton is selling his Intrepid at one heck of a good deal. He's here in CC or you can contact him at Roadrace Powerpod.

Bike-on is good for a new bike but their used prices are ridicuous.
    Thanks Patrick , I will check it out

Keep a look out on ebay and craigslist... in the mean time test ride all you can...

no offense to mark, but I would not waste my money on an intrepid. just like with anything else, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 04-08-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg2727 View Post
    Hi JHeath.. I live in MA..If you're anywhere in New England area I can have a truck meet you.
    Sorry I'm in Jax FL area.

How stable are you at sitting? I lift weights nearly 2 hr/day 5 day/week. This is 10+ years after accident. Started out with something like 2-3 lb, minimal routine reps and weight and expanded from there. Took long time.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    no offense to mark, but I would[n't] waste my money on an intrepid. just like with anything else, you get what you pay for.
    agreed... though for recreational use, on a budget, they're not a bad idea.

I agree with fuentejps..be careful what you buy and I wouldn't waste my money on a Freedom Ryder either. the company is no where close to even the entry level hand cycle that someone like Invacare/top end is.

I think Freedom Ryder is a great entry level bike. I just finished my first marathon in Carmel IN, granted, it's all about the equiptment, but I powered through at a pretty good clip, I think. Thanks, John, James and Rob for the encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    I agree with fuentejps..be careful what you buy and I wouldn't waste my money on a Freedom Ryder either. The company is no where close to even the entry level hand cycle that someone like Invacare/top end is.
    I rode T/E's since the first model came out so many years ago. I've owned well over a dozen Top End handcycles. I ride a Freedom Ryder now.

If a person doesn't want to lay 3" off the ground the Freedom Ryder is the way to go The current models of T/E rec. bikes have a design that is at least 13 years old. I hear they have a new one coming out but it looks like the same ole design as t well.

I loved my Old T/E's and was really pissed when they left us rec. riders in the dust so to speak. Top End quality is definitly not the same since Invacare bought them out. Not sayng it's bad but nowhere near when Chris built the bikes personally. If you didn't own a bike he built personally, you have no idea of how good they were.

With the T/E, I was continually spending hours and hours trying to maximize the riding position. I didn't mind doing that at all. The rubber steering dampner on the later models continually tore off needing a replacement. Do they still rip alot?

It's obvious you've never ridden a Freedom Ryder. They have been trouble free and I can go on any windy trail and over any speedbump without bottoming out.

Sure, If I was going to race, I'd buy a Top End or go for an Oracing Handcycle. Their other models are just repros of the 2000 XLT Pro.

I have never had a bit of trouble with my F/R and certainly it's not a waste of money. The leansteer is by far a greater workout than any Force R or Force Carbon out there. The FRH is trouble free and capable of doing much more than any of the low sleds T/E is putting out. try taking your Force R on a country road with sharp turns. Most of us don't race, the Freedom ryder is a great choice for those who don't or just want to run the odd marathon once in a while.

I ride the road and want to be seen, The Freedom Ryder does that. I've been riding for 37 years, built my first handcycle cause no one made them back then. For me, the FRH has been the best handcycle I've owned as far a maintenance and the ability to ride anywhere or ride any long distance rec. runs.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 04-21-2013 at 03:20 PM.