Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help..Looking for a handbike

Need Help..Looking for a handbike

Hi Guys,

Thank you in advance for any replies!

I was in a major motorcycle accident 6/29/11 Breaking 12 ribs,scapula,clavicle, punchered lung, Brain contusion,T5 fracture complete paralysis ..Was in the ICU on a ventilator in a medically induced coma for 7 weeks and lost 40 pounds

I am still dealing with some pain issues and have put on weight due to the inactivity. I am thinking of trying to get into handbiking and was looking for some advice.

1) What type of bikes are availible
    2) Where can I get one
    3) What type of prices

Thanks again..Hope this is the right place to post this ..sorry if it isnt

also I have an used outside wheelchair elevator that I would be willing to trade for a bike if anybody is interested ...I'm in MA

/

I got my freedom rider used on Crags list for 1400, and just love it. Good luck
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Is there any good websites that sell used training equipment (hand bikes)

Unfortunately, even used handcycles are usually pretty expensive. I've seen a few entry-level Intrepids on Craigslist for under $1,000, but that's about as cheap as it gets. Do you think it's something you'd really get into? If you just want to cruise around on occasion, and older or entry-level model would probably be just fine. If you want to do any serious riding, a bike with higher performance can make a world of difference. With regular bicycles, a strong rider can make a $1,000 bike go just as fast as a $4,000 bike. With handcycles, that just isn't the case. Again, it's unfortunate, but money does buy speed when it comes to handcycles.

Bike-on.com usually has at least a few used handcycles for sale. A few have been popping up on fleaBay, too. Keep an eye on this site's classified section, too. If you buy a cheap bike and and up getting hooked, you can probably apply for a grant through CAF (Challenged Athletes Foundation) to help fund a bike upgrade. I've been a cyclist my entire life (both before and after I broke my back.) I sure am glad that we have things like handcycles even available. I have no idea what my life would be like if I weren't able to ride. I'd probably be a completely different person.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post

Bike-on.com usually has at least a few used handcycles for sale.
    http://bike-on.com/product-list/used-handcycles-pg108/

Thanks for the replies .. I really appreciate the help. I may even try to trade an outside elevator lift I have that I don't use. Gonna go check out bike-on site now

another quick question..How difficult is it to get in and out of the bike? Is there any device to help transfer in and out of the bike? Thanks again I'm new to a lot of this and need to get some exercise . I have put on a few pounds and had a blood clot last year from inactivity

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg2727 View Post
    Thanks for the replies .. I really appreciate the help. I may even try to trade an outside elevator lift I have that I don't use. Gonna go check out bike-on site now
    Where do you live Jimmy? I have a couple of older handcycles that I could sell, but it costs too much to ship them.

Seconding the suggestion of bike-on.com. Good experiences with them.

Mark Brereton is selling his Intrepid at one heck of a good deal. He's here in CC or you can contact him at Roadrace Powerpod.

Bike-on is good for a new bike but their used prices are ridicuous.