Thread: Help with casters

Help with casters

I need to order new casters for my manual wheelchair and was wondering if someone can tell me what the difference is between a soft roll caster and a firm roll. I am currently using a set of 5" firm roll ones and have never used the soft roll. This may sound like a silly question, but I don't want to have to order them and return them if they are not what I want.

I like the soft rolls much better, they make no noise on floors and give a gentler ride w/o feeling like more rolling resistance. Just make sure you order the right casters size and width so that they will fit w/o changing spacers, axle bolt, etc.

if you push outside take soft rolls, if you use your chair only indoor you can use firm ones.
    Depending on your chair, you can also choose width of your casters: 1" or 1"4

I love my soft roll FrogLegs

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    I love my soft roll FrogLegs
    x2. Epic Aluminum 5x1.4" mostly outside use.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks for the advice. I am going to order the soft roll casters and try them out.

I've been wondering whats the big difference between composite hubs or aluminum hubs on the soft rolls? Since the aluminum doubles the price. I've been wanting to upgrade to soft rolls for the last year and haven't. I wanted aluminum hubs but at this point I'm thinking I'll go for composite since I'll be able to afford them sooner.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I love soft roll tires. I would never go back. I couldn't believe the difference when I first tried them. Much more comfortable ride, much smoother. They ate up the bumps and vibrations and it didn't seem harder to push and they seem to last just as long. Only tires I'll get from now on. Mine are 1x4". When I tried the Icon I had a chance to use the 1x1.4 and I thought those were nice too. By the way, Froglegs has some incredibly light aluminum casters. You can hardly feel the weight of them in your hand and they look terrific.

I rode with standard hard tires (Softroll didn't exist then) for years. I used to joke that if I wnet over a postage stamp I'd feel it, also they gave me less control because of all the jolts.

Yeah, no way I'd go back to hard ones, the "bump" reduction is sooooo nice. I have the FL 4x1.4's, since I want from 1" hard ones, I did notice a little more resistance when you do a "quick turn" movement, due to more surface area contact. But I don't notice it anymore, but still notice less bumpity bump, it's all good.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"