Thread: Use of my caregiver time, up to me?

Use of my caregiver time, up to me?

San Diego, California

I had a telephone interview with IHSS (In Home Supportive Services)
    The worker said I qualify and the paperwork is on the way.
    I have 40 prox days to have my doctor fill out the form and have the in-home assessment. no waiting list according to the worker.

She said I will get my time allotted by my needs. Like x hours for bathing. x hours for shopping. x hours for house cleaning and so on.

My neighbor gets 85 prox hours per month and uses a walker.
    I do not need that many hours, and use a powerchair.

QUESTION: after my time needed per month is allotted, can I use my cooking time for house cleaning instead ?

/
    C3,4,5....no deltoids.

Ihss

IMO, be careful of IHSS care giver list of possible help. If you find your own help it will take time to go through the process The help you find will have to go through a background check. Check references. Make sure prospective caregiver can take care of your needs, all of needs. Send a pm to sci nurse also. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by eversonsail View Post
    IMO, be careful of IHSS care giver list of possible help. If you find your own help it will take time to go through the process The help you find will have to go through a background check. Check references. Make sure prospective caregiver can take care of your needs, all of needs. Send a pm to sci nurse also. Good Luck
    I live in a retirement community with many neighbors on IHSS. If I use a good reliable caregiver already in the IHSS system from a neighbor's recommendation, do they still need another background check? To work for me also?

Thank you
    john
    C3,4,5....no deltoids.

Quote Originally Posted by johntom View Post
    She said I will get my time allotted by my needs. Like x hours for bathing. x hours for shopping. x hours for house cleaning and so on.

My neighbor gets 85 prox hours per month and uses a walker.
    I do not need that many hours, and use a powerchair.

QUESTION: after my time needed per month is allotted, can I use my cooking time for house cleaning instead ?
    The social worker who does the home evaluation will determine how many hours you get. Be sure your physician is accurate in completing your time requested sheet. Don't forget the actual amount of time it takes to do bowel and bladder care (including set up, transfers and clean up) as the IHSS social workers are pretty clueless about what is involved in this for SCI.

Once you have them on board, you can actually have the PCA do any of the things you need done in the time allotted. Just so you know that IHSS does do occassional surprise audits, so be prepared for this if they show up and want to see what the PCA is doing, or ask them about what they do for you. Be sure you are scheduling them to work for the actual amount of time allotted...no more, no less.

Your neighbor may qualify under the need for supervision due to cognitive or behavioral disabilities, which would not apply to you. She is only getting less than 3 hours daily, so that may be for help with bathing and cooking only. Most people that I know with your level of SCI get 4-6 hours of IHSS care daily.

I always recommending doing a background check on any PCA that you will be having in your home. Contact me by PM if you need a contact that I used to vet the PCAs I hired for my mother (although we private paid; not eligible for IHSS).

(KLD)

IHSS will run fingerprints on anyone you want to hire before you are allowed to get them paid.
    Theoretically the worker should only be doing the permitted tasks. Reality is different of course. As long as your worker knows what to say should the social worker show up at the door, what you do on your own time is up to you.

But also be aware that whatever hours they grant you will first be immediately reduced by something like 3.4% due to state budget cuts. And that we have been living w/the threat of across the board 20% cuts in hours as well.
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!