Thread: Used to use compression stockings but ...

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Used to use compression stockings but ...

I always wear 15-20 mmHg compression stockings when I am in the wheelchair but I now have pressure wounds on the bottoms of my feet.

Now my blood pressure is very low without the stockings and I am having problems during the day so I would like to know if I could wear compression stockings without the feet.

They are called Leg Sleeves and they come in 15-20 mmHg also. They are more expensive but I am hopeing they could help.

Good or bad idea?
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

You can try these, but they are likely to make your feet swell more, which will not help with your wound healing. Are you also using an abdominal binder to help with your blood pressure issues??

(KLD)

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    I'm sure you know this already, but your feet will heal faster with good circulation. Without support stockings, that means you should keep them elevated, at least enough to avoid the swelling.

Continuous leg elevation in your wheelchair may be problematic for many reasons. It puts excessive pressure on your ischiums and can lead to major pressure ulcers, for one. In addition, you may not have elevating leg rests on your wheelchair, nor be able to maneuver your wheelchair within your home with legs elevated due to space issues. Driving with leg elevation, or even tying down your chair in the proper space may also be an issue.

(KLD)

I have a binder but did not know it helped with blood pressure. I will wear it again but am conserned my huge quad belly and completely filled intestines may negate the value. My feet do swell up after 8 hours in chair but my right foot looks like a football. Since the leg sleeves would make it worse I better forget it. Darn feet will probably take 7 months to heal, good thing they only blistered.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-27-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

typoforestranger...I had MASSIVE abdominal reconstructions. Skin graphs, shit bag, muscle removed and even shit bag taken off and sew me back up. My abdomen looked like a basketball. I can get you what I wear now. Hospital ones were garbage. Binder I wear is actually a back binder. The ONLY time I do NOT wear it, is in the shower. I wear it all other times. Took probably 9+ months to get ab back to close to normal. If you get the correct binder on your abdomen, you can put it back to normal as well as the sh*t coming out of your a**. This does NOT happen overnight. Even putting the binder on incorrectly, I believe can restrict bowel processing.

What kind of binder do you use. Some folks use a type of corrset which helps them but I would be conserned about pressure wounds.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Can you massage your legs?I do mine a few..x a day.It makws a BIG diffrence.
    C-6,complete