Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medicaid and driving

edicaid is not Medicaid is not Medicaid....

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I don't know if I am right. But what I understand of obamacare. Anyone who don't make enough to purchase insurance will get thrown into medicaid. So if that is true next year you can tell that case worker to shove it. I can't wait to see the flood to medicaid. Obama's will save us all! ha ha ha!
    Medicaid has federal rules administered by CMS, but states have great latitude within those federal rules to design and operate their Medicaid programs. A functional needs assessment is a standard protocol used to ensure services aren't provided to people who don't need them, your case worker is likely assuming you are now driving because of a change in your functional ability. Are you on a waiver, or just the NJ Medicaid state plan? Waiver rules tend to be very different than state plan rules, as are the services provided under waivers and the state plan. I would start by trying to explain why your long term service and support needs have not changed, driving has enhanced your independence but has not altered your functional needs. If your services are cut, you have the right to appeal, if the appeal is not found in your favor you can appeal that decision as well, usually to an Administrative Law Judge. Try not to get angry, but don't just accept a bad decision. The 3 most important words to remember when dealing with any gov't service agency: APPEAL, APPEAL, APPEAL!

Thanks all for your inputs. The case worker from medicaid stopped by yesterday and to my surprise she didn't mention anything about cutting me. I mentioned that I will start class the following day. She wished me luck and hoped I will find a good job so I could get off the program. I was like "wow is she ok today?". Anyways, my goal is to get back I to the work force and get off the program. However, I can't afford to be off the program until I am permanently working with health insurance.
    One more question. If I go back to work I know they will discontinue my ssdi which is fair. Let just say 3 or 4 years down the road my body decided to give up would I be able to re-apply for ssdi? Or once I go back to work they no longer considered I'm disabled?
    Thanks,
    Tin
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
    Thanks all for your inputs. The case worker from medicaid stopped by yesterday and to my surprise she didn't mention anything about cutting me. I mentioned that I will start class the following day. She wished me luck and hoped I will find a good job so I could get off the program. I was like "wow is she ok today?". Anyways, my goal is to get back I to the work force and get off the program. However, I can't afford to be off the program until I am permanently working with health insurance.
    One more question. If I go back to work I know they will discontinue my ssdi which is fair. Let just say 3 or 4 years down the road my body decided to give up would I be able to re-apply for ssdi? Or once I go back to work they no longer considered I'm disabled?
    Thanks,
    Tin
    The way I understand obamacare your not going to need to worry about that. I believe anyone not making a certain amount of income gets thrown into medicaid.

If your condition changes so you're unable to work again theres no reason (e.g. only allowed to use ssdi once) that would not allow you to receive benefits again. Peoples condition changes, they can decline unexpectedly or improve unexpectedly. You can go back on benefits if you need them again. And I'd look in to the trial to work program.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    The way I understand obamacare your not going to need to worry about that. I believe anyone not making a certain amount of income gets thrown into medicaid.
    The Medicaid coverage under the Affordable Care Act is not required to be as robust as that provided under current eligibility categories.

As for getting back on SSDI, you can easily during your Trial Work Period, semi easily during the 5 year Expedited Reinstatement period, after that you would need to re-apply and prove disability.

http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-...s-supports.htm