Thread: Help with Chronic constipation

Unhappy Help with Chronic constipation

Close Thread.
    Last edited by Nego; 12-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nego View Post
    Hi, I need some advice with my current situation that has been haunting me all my life basically. This might be long so bear with me.

I started having bowel problems really young about 4-5 yrs old, back then I do not know why but that's when my mom told me for some odd reason I just stopped going to the bathroom regularly and started holding it. My mom would give me enemas and suppositories when it got bad because well I held so much that the poop would come out... I know disgusting and to this day I do not know why I held it. Anyways as I grew up I did stop relying on laxatives and started going somewhat without issues. Basically since I started doing okay I just went when I needed to but that would be 3-4 times weekly. People and some Docs would say I need to go at least once a day so throughout my life every now and then I would just take some laxatives when I felt I wasn't doing much. I have and I don't know if this would be related but for the last couple years I every now and then have discomfort in my left side abdominal area, when I feel it I usually just take laxatives and it would help sometimes even though I kinda learned to live with it. I do get yearly checkups and everything has been fine per my docs and when I mention it they really never help so I don't really worry about my abdominal side discomfort.

But now things have been different because laxatives have not been working since around September when I took some milk of manesia (Magnesium Hydroxide) and I pooped some but then it was just water like liquid. This past couple weeks the discomfort came back and I thought it was because of exercise but then I just thought I'll take some laxatives to make sure because it's not really going away. I took a whole bottle of magnesium citrate 2 days ago and it resulted in no poop just liquid again then last night I took a suppository and nothing happened at all some normal cramps/mild pain in my lower bowel but no movement when I did go just white stuff came out (I think the suppository stuff).

Today I was going to take some Miralax even though it hasn't worked but I was going to give it a try but I really can't take it since I have a medical appointment for a job the next 2 days so I'm waiting till I'm done with that to take something because I think I have stool in my system.

I always had the impression that I will just have to deal with this issue all my life but I don't know what to do I need some help with my situation and what should I do now to make sure I'm not impacted or something.

Thanks in advance!
    Try kefir and probiotics.
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

First off, this is a site for individuals with spinal cord injury and similar disorders. But from your post I don't think you have any chronic health issues? Is this correct? If you have chronic health issues that could be contributing please list them.

If you've taken an entire bottle of magnesium citrate a few days ago with no bowel movement things are a bit serious. How many days has it been since you've had a normal bowel movement? How about any passage of stool? Its possible for you to have a bowel obstruction and thats why you were only passing liquid which is able to get past the obstruction. At this point depending on the total number of days its been I would say either try 2 bottles of mag citrate and if no result go to the ER, or just go to the ER/your Dr.

Not everyone has a bowel movement every day, I never experienced one on a daily basis even before clinical constipation issues. What is normal varies a lot from person to person. If you had issues as a child and are currently experiencing them, I would first rule out issues such as spasms of the puborectalis muscle causing functional constipation.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    First off, this is a site for individuals with spinal cord injury and similar disorders. But from your post I don't think you have any chronic health issues? Is this correct? If you have chronic health issues that could be contributing please list them.

If you've taken an entire bottle of magnesium citrate a few days ago with no bowel movement things are a bit serious. How many days has it been since you've had a normal bowel movement? How about any passage of stool? Its possible for you to have a bowel obstruction and thats why you were only passing liquid which is able to get past the obstruction. At this point depending on the total number of days its been I would say either try 2 bottles of mag citrate and if no result go to the ER, or just go to the ER/your Dr.

Not everyone has a bowel movement every day, I never experienced one on a daily basis even before clinical constipation issues. What is normal varies a lot from person to person. If you had issues as a child and are currently experiencing them, I would first rule out issues such as spasms of the puborectalis muscle causing functional constipation.
    Sorry did not notice that but thanks for the advice.

Mods please close thread.