Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15x17+2 80 Degree TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    See related posts in the CareCure CAD Repository about Occupied Frame Length (front of back post to front of footrest). TiLite only provides it on request.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...8&postcount=60

Thank you for the answer, now I understand that is different measurements.
    Just one question, does the ccforum have a skype or other type of audio software where people can talk over about this matters and other things.

Well, if you would have requested it in your CAD (or if Paul Schulte actually included it in TopEnd's CAD drawings), maybe we could have put it to a vote!

I will agree that it doesn't have the same ring to it, but for those who prescribe wheelchairs "Occupied Frame Length" makes more sense.
    TiLite probably isn't too keen on crediting an Invacare employee with improving custom chair measurement.
    Last edited by SoCalSteve; 12-26-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: sp

stephen212 is correct in his assessment that even with a 4" COG and a 3.5" difference in STF heights, this TR3 is not tippy at all. Now, I'm not ready to guarantee that a TR3 in a "petertan configuration" with a 3.5" COG spec will not be tippy. However, I am beginning to think that the rear axle on a TR3 can be further forward than a ZR/ZRA and still have the same balance due of its distribution of mass. The COM for the frame itself is more forward and lower than a ZR/ZRA.

Keep in mind that the main determinant of Center of Mass will always be the how much of the user's weight is distributed on either side of the rear axle. Still, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that differences in frame design could make a difference.
    If that is the case, those moving from ZR/ZRA to TR3 will have to rethink their COG settings. There is a possibility, as you have discovered, that translating a cantilevered frame COG to the TR3 could make it heavy to the push.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    If that is the case, those moving from ZR/ZRA to TR3 will have to rethink their COG settings. There is a possibility, as you have discovered, that translating a cantilevered frame COG to the TR3 could make it heavy to the push.
    The issue has more to do with being able to get the curved rear frame instead of the square rear frame. There is always a risk that the minimal COG of 3.5" for the curved rear frame could be tippy, but if someone is running 3 to 3.5 on a ZR or ZRA they will probably be fine.I just can't say so with cetrtainty.

If a TR is more front heavy than expected, moving the rear axle forward requires little more than a 1/4" Allen wrench and loosening 2 socket head cap screws on each camber tube clamp.

as sciotr stated below, its easy to slide the tube forward for more tippy. i speced my tr2 exactly as my zr 2, yes it was a bit nose heavy but a quick adj fixed that.
    with that said, imo, i see no reason not to spec similiar when going from zr to tr.
    another cool thing about the rounded rear tr's , im not beating my car up near as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    as sciotr stated below, its easy to slide the tube forward for more tippy. i speced my tr2 exactly as my zr 2, yes it was a bit nose heavy but a quick adj fixed that.
    with that said, imo, i see no reason not to spec similiar when going from zr to tr.
    another cool thing about the rounded rear tr's , im not beating my car up near as bad.
    I'm running 2" COG with my ZRA. It's stable but a backpack makes it slightly tippy. I don't think I can go 3.5" like you with a 4" dump. I guess I'll have to settle for somewhere between 2" to 2.5" COG for the TR3 and then work my way up. No rounded rear for me I'm afraid.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

It's stable but a backpack makes it slightly tippy.

Have you thought of using TiLight front luggage bars?
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

My chair is pretty tippy as is, where if I give a hard push without leaning forward a bit (or start from a stable position without leaning forward a bit) the casters pop up. I don't usually carry anything on the back, if I do its a purse (just a canvas bag, could be used by men too) thats hung really low below the back and between the rear wheels. I only add that when I'm carrying more stuff, usually I just use a bike handlebar bag thats attached to the rigidizer below my seat. And when I have money I want to upgrade to http://www.adaptabledesigns.com/unwheelpac.html (both bags I use now I already had around when I got my chair)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    Have you thought of using TiLight front luggage bars?
    My backpack is floppy and not wide enough to rest on the luggage carrier bars.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/