Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15x17+2 80 Degree TiLite TR3

15x17+2 80 Degree TiLite TR3

NOTE: Additional information about this TR3 can be found in the CareCure CAD Repository

Here is the second of four TR3's we have coming in. This one has a unique "slammed" appearance that is quite different from the first TR3 that I posted last week.

It is defintiely "Long and Low"...

The Specs...

15"W x 17"D
    19" Custom Frame Depth
    80° Front Angle
    18" Front / 14.5" Rear STF Heights
    Occupied Frame Length: 26.2"
    14.5" Seat-To-Footrest
    V-Front End w/ 11.5" Footrest Width
    8.5”-12.5” Titanium Folding Locking Backrest Set @ 11"
    92° Back Angle
    4" Center Of Gravity
    1" Rear Wheel Spacing
    2°Carbon Fiber Camber Tube
    Tilite Standard Fork / Titanium Stems
    24" Golz Twin-Star Exchange Wheels
    NaturalFit Handrims / Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Tires
    Composite Scissor Lock
    Standard Carbon Fiber Removable Side Guards
    4x1.5 Plastic Caster/Poly Tire
    (To be replaced with 4x1.4" Frog Legs Aluminum Hub Soft Rolls)

Many of you probably think "quad" when you notice the low 14.5 rear STF height. Actually, the TR3 will be used for a very active para with a lower level injury.

The reason it is so low is partly due to the fact they use a Ride Custom Cushion. The front portion consists of at least 2" of non-compressible Brock composite material while the cantels at the back are at least 4 1/2" high. While they will sit 2-3" lower than the cantels, they will still sit higher than would be the case on most other cushions (about the same height as a Roho Hybrid Elite). The lower STF heights were spec'd to offset the cushion thickness to preserve optimal pushrim access.

The reason it is so long has to do with the types of outdoor activities they engage in on a regular basis and how they store the frame in their vehicle. In both cases the long frame and extra wheelbase is helpful.

Those curved sections of lower frame tubing not only have aesthetic appeal, they combine to form an extremely stiff structure. I discovered this last week when I moved up the footrest on our first TR3. I needed another person to squeeze the downtubes together while I slid the extension tubes up into the frame. With a ZR or ZRA, I could to do both by myself. One thing is for certain, uneven extension tubes will not cause a floating caster on a TR3.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 12-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Good looking chair. The red anodized parts go well with black. SCI_OTR, how does it handle?
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

That sure is a handsome design. From the bottom, the tubing looks like a sculpture.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Very sharp looking chair from stem to stern. I really like the Golz wheels.

Even with a 4" CoG I imagine that, given the long length of the frame, it is not particularly tippy. Wheelies might be challenging with this setup.

Question about the back rigidizer: Is the tubing round or oval? It appears round, certainly not nearly as oval as the one seen in this photo. I was wondering if TiLite has settled for one style of tubing over the other or if it's contingent on other order specifications.

that looks familiar. is that for a certain vet who ski's with us? and hangs balls under his chair

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Question about the back rigidizer: Is the tubing round or oval? It appears round, certainly not nearly as oval as the one seen in this photo. I was wondering if TiLite has settled for one style of tubing over the other or if it's contingent on other order specifications.
    I've been wondering about that.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    that looks familiar. is that for a certain vet who ski's with us? and hangs balls under his chair
    I was wondering if you would recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    Good looking chair. The red anodized parts go well with black. SCI_OTR, how does it handle?
    stephen212 is correct in his assessment that even with a 4" COG and a 3.5" difference in STF heights, this TR3 is not tippy at all. Now, I'm not ready to guarantee that a TR3 in a "petertan configuration" with a 3.5" COG spec will not be tippy. However, I am beginning to think that the rear axle on a TR3 can be further forward than a ZR/ZRA and still have the same balance due of its distribution of mass. The COM for the frame itself is more forward and lower than a ZR/ZRA.

Keep in mind that the main determinant of Center of Mass will always be the how much of the user's weight is distributed on either side of the rear axle. Still, it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that differences in frame design could make a difference.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 12-25-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I was wondering if you would recognize it.
    oh ya its a unique look. i'd recognize anywhere. doesnt he usually run welded back on his colours?

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    oh ya its a unique look. i'd recognize anywhere. doesnt he usually run welded back on his colours?
    You mean to tell me that there are actually back posts on his Colours? I always thought the side guards just wrapped around!

It's probably just me, but when I look at his chair, it reminds me of "Lightning McQueen" from the movie "Cars"...