Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seat sling/pan bolts stripped...

Seat sling/pan bolts stripped...

Hello I have a quickie revolution I just bought off ebay, because I like the way it folds up so tight... The seller forgot to mention the bolts that hold the seat sling will no longer hold as the threads in the wheelchair tubing around the seat are stripped...
    any ideas of an easy way to fix? Or how to secure a solid seat pan without those holes being threaded?
    thanks in advance.

Maybe you could replace it by a tension adjustable upholstery.

Carefully drill out the existing rivnuts; set new rivnuts.

rivnuts and tools at Fastenal or good hardware store.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ideally find a sheet metal shop to replace the RivNuts, a 5 minute job but requires a special tool like a rivet puller to install them.

Depending on how Red Green you want it you could just drill straight through the frame and use longer bolts with nuts on the underside... Or, of course, the handymans secret weapon - duct tape.

You could also purchase and use a solid seat pan that clips onto the seat rails if you want that type of seating. You would have to deal with a design that would allow you to quickly remove the seat if you still want to be able to fold the chair though. Here are a few:

http://www.medifab.com.au/products/w...-seat-base-pan

http://www.biodynamics.us/product.ph...e%20Adjustable

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Carefully drill out the existing rivnuts; set new rivnuts.

rivnuts and tools at Fastenal or good hardware store.
    Chas is correct, but be sure to use a high quality sharp drill bit because the rivnuts may spin.

Another method is to simply poprivit it together. An autobody shop should have the tool and rivits. Or do you have Harbor Freight?. I bought a larger pop rivit tool there recently.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You could also purchase and use a solid seat pan that clips onto the seat rails if you want that type of seating. You would have to deal with a design that would allow you to quickly remove the seat if you still want to be able to fold the chair though.
    Some users use Velcro strips to attach their solid pans.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Use 1 size larger sheet metal screws for a cheap fix

Quote Originally Posted by ryanrmx View Post
    Hello I have a quickie revolution I just bought off ebay, because I like the way it folds up so tight... The seller forgot to mention the bolts that hold the seat sling will no longer hold as the threads in the wheelchair tubing around the seat are stripped...
    any ideas of an easy way to fix? Or how to secure a solid seat pan without those holes being threaded?
    thanks in advance.

You can put into the rivet nuts this and after put in the bolts, and the bolts will get welded to the rivest nut, it`s the easiest and cheapest way, and even you could do it yourself.
    Do it before going at bed and leave it all the night.

There is stuff called Thread Tape. You would put that on the bolt and wrap around. You can wrap as many times and try. It may or may not work. The tape basically comes off as rotating in and fills the strip. It is a 1X use. Each time you take bolt out, need to re apply. It is cheap though.