Thread: making bread

Smile making bread

question for you all

i have made several loaves taste is great good crust but dense. i think i am nt getting enough air beat in but not to sure how with quad hands ideas?

still think of bread machine but 184.00 is pretty high right now

check utube for artisan bread, it's easy and the best
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    question for you all

i have made several loaves taste is great good crust but dense. i think i am nt getting enough air beat in but not to sure how with quad hands ideas?

still think of bread machine but 184.00 is pretty high right now
    I bought a cheap bread machine and only use it to mix and knead the bread. I do not cook the bread in it, instead transfer to a regular bread pan and then cook it in the oven. It gives really good results.

I like a softer crust, so I wrap the hot loaf (removed from the pan after cooking) loosely in a kitchen towel topped by a clean plastic garbage bag and let it cool a bit. It steams the crust a little and makes it chewy soft. This method is the best for flat breads and pan pizza 'cheater' crusts. They will be soft and chewy.

nom, nom, nom!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    got it but the amout of flour and using oven is where i need caretaker as i really have a tough time using my big oven i use a small oven on counter

but i will give it a wirl with her

Bread is not airy from getting air into the dough but by the reaction of the yeast during the rise stage. The yeasts release gas as they do their thing. As long as you have activated enough yeast and let it rise appropriately, you cannot knead it too much but you may not be kneading enough to develop the gluten. It will take you longer than the 10 minutes that the directions probably call for but you are going for a very smooth, elastic dough that you can roll across the board without the dough sticking to your hands or to the board. If you do not have the upper body strength, finger dexterity not needed, consider using a stand mixer (that is what Ry uses because he lacks shoulder strength to knead the dough). This method does require the ability to add small doses of flour to the mixer through the kneading process. Measuring this dough is not a big deal as you are going for the smooth dough that no longer sticks to the bottom of the bowl. It will also not stick to hour hands as you form it into loaves. The amount necessary will literally vary with the weather.-eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    i must have done something wrong as it was awful terrible i threw it out

sorry to hear that, it's always been good when we make it.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"