Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Program Fear & Loathing!

Blog Entries

Bowel Program Fear & Loathing!

I've been injured for 15 years with severe chronic nerve pain in my lower body. I desperately need help with intestinal/stomach discomfort which causes my nerve pain to flare to uncontrollable levels. I've been doing my bowel program Monday/Wednesday/Friday with help from Miralax&Senokot. I constantly feel bloated and nauseous to the point that I have trouble eating.

I truly loathe doing my program because of the hassle and post pain from hemorrhoids but am wondering if the only way to feel better is to do it every day.

I have a hard time even talking about this but I know I can't avoid it if I want to be healthier for my family/work. I truly appreciate your thoughts.
    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

Add a fiber supplement like Metamucil, Benfiber, Citricel.

Drink plenty of water.

Do a bowel program every other day.

Try to do the bowel program after a meal and/or after drinking a hot beverge.

Try a suppository like Magic Bullet (bisocodyl suppository in an aqueous base that melts more quickly than bisocodyl suppositories in a vegetable oil base, i.e., Ducolax. Or there is a product called Enemeez that some people find preferable to Magic Bullets. The company that makes Enemeez will send you free samples of their product. Concepts in Confidence may too, I don't know.

Magic Bullet Suppositories: http://conceptsinconfidence.com

Enemeez: http://www.enemeez.com

Maybe some of these tips will help.

All the best,
    GJ

The most potent and easiest on the rectum I've used is Lactolose. My only problem was predictability. I'm told if you're careful to control the dosage, and take it with food, the end result is almost like normal regularity. My problem is my schedule is so variable, I can't set aside a definite time each day for BP.

i'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. there are many good suggestions here and in the archives. i hope you'll find relief soon.

my BP has become a lot easier in the past two years due to dietary changes i've made, outlined below. i have a c-5 incomplete injury for 42 years with
    neurogenic b & b.

1. i eat a very high-fiber plant-strong diet (no animal products at all)
    2. no sugar, no white flour, avoid processed foods.
    3. no alcohol, i only drink water, except for 2 cups of coffee each morning.
    4. 1 tsp. of organic turmeric powder + a dash of black pepper
    stirred into a half cup of cold coffee each morning.
    5. 3 100mg gel caps of Ducolax each night.
    6. 2 caps D-Mannose w/CranActin by Solaray each night.
    (no utis since starting this routine.)

the turmeric is supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect
    and i definitely have less neuro and arthritic pain than before.
    turmeric also seems to have a gentle laxative
    effect. my GP says his other patients who take turmeric report
    this, too.

i'm sorry you're having such a terrible time, i hope you can find the right combination of diet and products that will make your life and bp easier. good luck!

Have you tried Enemeez or since you have pain- Enemeez Plus- has benzocaine in it. Found to be very effective for most. www.enemeez.com
    CWO

add probiotics- I take 2 every morning... It you are bloated all the time. you may need to try to stay off all dairy for a while to see if it makes it better. Then consider gluten free as well.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Here's a strange...

I used to be "addicted" to Pepsi. Two, three cans a day, maybe more. For some reason, I stopped drinking pop altogether about 6-8 years ago. But, in the last couple of weeks, I've started having a can every day with dinner. And now, instead of once a week (with difficulty), I have a bowel movement every day.

Is it the extra fluid? The sugar? I don't know, but something has changed...

fear and loathing, funny, about how not funny it is to know what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    i'm sorry you're having such a miserable time. there are many good suggestions here and in the archives. i hope you'll find relief soon.

my BP has become a lot easier in the past two years due to dietary changes i've made, outlined below. i have a c-5 incomplete injury for 42 years with
    neurogenic b & b.

1. i eat a very high-fiber plant-strong diet (no animal products at all)
    2. no sugar, no white flour, avoid processed foods.
    3. no alcohol, i only drink water, except for 2 cups of coffee each morning.
    4. 1 tsp. of organic turmeric powder + a dash of black pepper
    stirred into a half cup of cold coffee each morning.
    5. 3 100mg gel caps of Ducolax each night.
    6. 2 caps D-Mannose w/CranActin by Solaray each night.
    (no utis since starting this routine.)

the turmeric is supposed to have an anti-inflammatory effect
    and i definitely have less neuro and arthritic pain than before.
    turmeric also seems to have a gentle laxative
    effect. my GP says his other patients who take turmeric report
    this, too.

i'm sorry you're having such a terrible time, i hope you can find the right combination of diet and products that will make your life and bp easier. good luck!
    Good advice. Before facing surgery I would consider all the alternatives. Changing diet to a plant strong lifestyle is a no-brainer. It may result in a daily routine but that's natural.

I've only tried a few of the products you're referring to but found they made my sore guts pain worse and did nothing to ease bloating. Glycerine suppositories made me so nauseous I had to sit on the toilet holding a bucket to catch any vomit.
    Senokot made my gut pain so much worse I almost passed out.

I then switched to using diet changes and foods as medicine. Here are some things that helped me. Sorry it's a long list but I've been trying stuff for over a decade now (!)

I got much better results re-pain and ease of bloating from the following things:
    Instead of senokot,
    I use flax seeds soaked in water overnight. It forms a slippery gel like substance plus softened seeds. You swallow the whole lot. Loosens bowels and the gel bit is very soothing to painful intestines.

Diet
    changes (eliminate wheat, reduce dairy, reduce processed foods and sugar)

Fresh root ginger tea (grate the root into teapot and steep)(add fresh lemon juice if your budget allows, or bottled is cheaper).

Chamomile or Peppermint herbal teas
    are also great for soothing.
    Avoid drinks with tanin in them e.g black tea tighten my stomach in a bad way (said to be used to dry out animal hides so makes sense it would not be good for stomach.

Bentonite Clay added to water and drunk or squeezed up your bum using a squeezy enema bottle is very soothing and healing. Think it also works as a gentle laxative.

Strong magnets
    (about 3000 gauss) applied to the area with medical tape (or stuck to underwear using another magnet or some coins on the other side of clothing) help my pain + refularity. I use the south pole facing the skin tho I read guides that say use north pole facing the skin.

Switching to mineral water helped me drink more (looking into making own water ionser in future. Cheaper and better for earth).

Fresh green veg
    also help pain, bloating, regularity and healing. You can juice them in a machine to make them easier to swallow. Add the waste pulp to compost heap or bury it directly in any soil you have, the worms love it

Magnesium Chloride or Sulphate (<Epsom Salts) and Zinc
    Chloride also reduce pain and loosen things up.
    Last but not least even daily exercise has made a significant help with reducing pain, bloating and of course regular bowel movements.

Hope some of these suggestions help you.

P.S For years the only treatment offered to me was just more and more and more morphine. I ended up on so much it started to damage my kidneys and liver and I could hardly remember where I live. The pain was ever increasing + nothing else was on offer or suggested so I took it in desperation. The increased dose would help the pain for a while but then I needed more again.
    In the end I bought a juicer machine and used a pint a day of green juices plus a small beetroot, ginger + carrot juice a day to help reduce my dose by almost half.
    I also changed my diet and used the products detailled above. Been pleasantly suprised to find that overall the pain is now better than when I was on double the amount of morphine So...more pain killers isn't always the best solution. Sometimes it seems to cause a runaway cycle of increasing pain and doses. Maybe it's like rebound pain from migraine pain relievers?
    Last edited by Bear_on_wheels; 12-22-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added spaces