Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Cooking Turkey

Excellent idea Timaru as there will already be mashed sweet potatoes.

Excellent VQ .. though if I have one brother, I can't have the sister and vice versa. My other brother only contacts me when he wants something ... though if I needed help, he would be there in a heartbeat.

Agreed re pecan pie ... though this novo-pen deal is great for diabetics at holidays. No doubt my mother would probably still be alive if it had been here twenty years ago.

It's a very strange family and we're all East, North, South and West from each other. People often comment that it's difficult to realize we were raised by the same two people ... though I think they gave up by the time I came along at 41 and 44. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    No cooking tips from me Jen as you'd end up killing your guests but I would go for roast potatoes over mashed.
    Bah, english and their horrid "cuisine".

- Potato-Leek Puree

- 3 to 4 good size leeks, cut off the root end and leave about an 1 1/2 inch of the green stuff. Split down the middle and rinse out the dirt
    - stick in boiling water for 10 minutes with 4 cloves of garlic
    - drain and saute leeks and garlic over low heat with a half stick of butter and some salt till leeks are nice and soft.
    - let cool and put in food processor and puree

- peel 2-3 pounds of yukon golds, quarter and put in salted boiling water till fork soft
    - drain
    - add salt, pepper, one of those small things of cream cheese and pureed garlic and leeks
    - mash with masher thingie, ricer or if lazy throw it in a kitchen aid mixer

Best mashed potatoes ever.

People fear turkeys but they are easy and there are many ways to fix them. I just massage an unstuffed 12-13 lb. fresh bird with butter and season well with salt and pepper and onion and garlic powder. To me seasoning is key to making it tasty. Bland turkeys get a thumbs down. You can use any seasonings you like but use enough. Put in a shallow baking pan and roast in a preheated 450 F oven for about 15 minutes and then turn the heat down to 350. Baste and add a cup of water to the pan every half hour. The turkey will be juicy and beautifully browned in 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

You can lower the cooking time 15 minutes by slicing half way through the theigh-body joint just at you would when you start to cut up the bird.

I suggest you put together a menu in which half your dishes can be prepared a day or two ahead. Then warm them in the microwave before serving.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Hey now hey! Cornish pasties ... and I don't mean nipple covers you buy in Cornwall!!! lol

Geezus you can cook too. It's Tuesday and I'm in love. <3 lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hah! This from the land of Ronald Macdonald and Colonel Sanders!

Will get my SO to knock up your potato and leek mash, sounds good.

there really is nothing like a good roasted potato when it roasts in the juices and fat of the meat.

just because ur brother has this novo pen doesnt mean you can still serve him sugary things. i'd forgo the marshmellows. i highly recommend patti labelle's cookbook for diabetics. some great recipes.

you can bake the sweet potatoes/yams ahead of time and this concentrates their sweetness so you dont need to add as much sugar.

turkey: BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER!!!!!!!! my mom and i make a compound butter (softened butter with season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a bit of rosemary) and then we separate the skin from the meat, cut little slits in the flesh and them stuff the butter under the skin. then you need to sprinkle a little salt on the skin. the cavity gets oranges, onions and garlic cloves and it roasts in the oven 20 - 30min/pound on 300 - 350. my mom does breast side down for 3/4 of cooking time, then flips it over to brown. i'm too lazy/bird is too heavy for that.

great desserts are fruit parfaits(you can make ahead of time), bread pudding, lava cakes(less sugar, no flour)...
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    Hah! This from the land of Ronald Macdonald and Colonel Sanders!

Will get my SO to knock up your potato and leek mash, sounds good.
    It is killer, that recipe was off the top of my head so depending on how starchy the potatoes are you may have to add a little milk at the end if they are dry. Also don't forget pepper.

@lynnifer: yeah I cook, no sammiches though try the bacon wrapped turkey, it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    there really is nothing like a good roasted potato when it roasts in the juices and fat of the meat.
    Totally. But better with something like a leg of lamb or prime rib than turkey.

Totally. But better with something like a leg of lamb or prime rib than turkey.
    mmmmmhhmmmm i'm drooling lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

If you're getting a 'good' unprocessed turkey you will certainly need to brine. 3 methods of brining, dry brine, soak brine or injecting brine. I inject brine, it's simple, you don't need a large container to soak it in, etc.

Brining can be used to simply add moisture or to add moisture and flavor. If you decide to inject brine, buy an injection needle, you can get them for $5 from WalMart. Make a simple brine (1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar (white or brown), 1 quart of cold water) mix until all the salt and sugar is dissolved. Add in any herbs or spices you want as well, just make sure they will go through the needle or strain before you begin to inject. The night before or up to a couple hours before pump the turkey in the breast, wings, legs and thighs, it will soak it all up. Cook the turkey on a raised pan at 350º until the breast hits 160º and the thighs are at least 170º. Tent with foil for at least an hour to rest and distribute the residual heat. DO NOT fret if you notice pink or even a hint of blood in the thigh joints. If you have a reliable thermometer, you're safe. Hope this helps.
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel