Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair and I need a little help on what car you like best/use/know someone that uses?

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee but my parents are no helping me in learning to drive again because the don't think I can transfer to that height, so I am hoping for a 4 door car but will consider a 2 door as well.
    2000 or newer.

Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Para-Horse-Girl View Post
    Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?
    This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)

I went to Emanuel

I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.

I drive a 2007 Ford Fusion. Considering upgrading in a few months to 2013. Been a great vehicle and easy to transfer in and out of. Also has a very large trunk.

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

Yes, Mini pretty cool. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler sitting in my garage. Lifted and monster tires I bought as a 2nd vehicle before my accident. It only has 9k miles on it but manual transmission. Still not sure what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.

Considering, against all my criticisms over the years, buying a mini-van with no lift. I hate Chrysler with a passion but I like the stow-n-go idea. Plus a remote side door button.

Not sure how that would work out? Price-wise it would work very well!

I own a 2004 Saturn as well but parts are getting harder and harder to find (not that it needs repair often but it's 8yrs old now).

My dream car is a British racing green Porsche with two white stripes down the middle .. anyone? Anyone? Christmas is coming ... my dream is Big Sur in that very car! I don't even have to be driving but I will handle the stick ... lol.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Considering, against all my criticisms over the years, buying a mini-van with no lift. I hate Chrysler with a passion but I like the stow-n-go idea. Plus a remote side door button.

Not sure how that would work out? Price-wise it would work very well!

I own a 2004 Saturn as well but parts are getting harder and harder to find (not that it needs repair often but it's 8yrs old now).

My dream car is a British racing green Porsche with two white stripes down the middle .. anyone? Anyone? Christmas is coming ... my dream is Big Sur in that very car! I don't even have to be driving but I will handle the stick ... lol.
    I had one when I had the old farm, it could pull a horse trailer. It was pretty easy with the chair, just pull it in the side door and go. I would much rather drive a sports car than a mini-van though!
    Andrew

I am T7/8 complete and use a transfer board to get into Ford Windstar

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I am T7/8 complete and use a transfer board to get into Ford Windstar
    You're a T7 and you use a transfer board? Can I ask why?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8