Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression Stockings - Donning aid & skin breakdown

Compression Stockings - Donning aid & skin breakdown

Okay, so it's a vicious circle. Legs/feet swell, go through lymphedema therapy and 4 weeks of Ace wraps to get legs/feet manageable. Get custom Jobst compression thigh-high stockings. Great! Pressure sores on both heels and one great toe - ugh! In hospital to get sores and impending infection under control. No more compression stockins for a while. Sores are healing, regular visits to podiatrist to monitor. Now using thigh-high Ted hose. Not great, but swelling is manageable. Sores under control, Band-Aids and Santyl ointment doing the job! Purchase Jobst compression stocking Butler/Donner. Starting to use compression stockings (with Band-Aids still on healing wounds) hoping stocking aide will help. Well, it helps get the toes in, but there is still the aerobics workout getting the damn things OVER the heels! I feel like the stocking aide is a Godsend (at least now I can get his feet started!), but it stops short (literally!) in that once the stocking is over the toes, I discard the stocking aide and get my daily workout trying to get the heel of the stocking OVER the healing heel and then up the leg! Whew! Does anyone have any experience with this - and a possible solution? We considered getting a larger aide (they supposedly are for if you have bigger legs), but that isn't the problem - it's holding the stockings o-p-e-n wider so we can get it past the heel! Thanks as always!

That tool was a great find for my father as well. He is able to use it for getting stockings as high as 30-40mmHg on, but over time he has learned how to do it without the tool.

Why are you taking your foot out of the tool after inserting the toes only? Keeping pushing in.... You need to get your entire foot in there and use the tool to pull the stocking up the leg.

Maybe you aren't threading the stocking on the tool correctly? Position it so that the heel of the stocking is near the top of the "hole" you created for your foot. You have to practice until you figure out exactly where the heel should be..

Sorry if I'm missing something. I know it can be hellish getting stockings on...

If you continue to get sores, maybe you need to consider one of the pump systems that you wear for ?30 minutes a day. A substitute for the lymphedema therapist..

Nicki, you might benefit from trying something like this: http://store.skins.net/usa/womens-co...on-long-tights

They're not medical grade and won't be as tight, but they do have gradient compression and definitely help.

Here are some additional compression stocking donning aids that I am familiar with:

Juzo Donning aid

Ezy-As

Heel Guide donning aid

EasyRoll Stocking donning aid

(KLD)

As always you all come to my rescue! hlh, in response to your question as to why we are removing the foot before getting the stocking completely on, maybe I am doing some thing wrong! His aide can't even use the darn thing - she just goes back to the manual way. I find the aide most helpful for spreading the stocking just to get it over the toes! My problem is that the stocking is so very tight (on both feet, but right more than left), that the stocking just basically stops right before the heel and won't budge! Between that, and that the stocking is unrolled over the aide (inside out), it seems to get "stuck" over the aide and basically won't slide as easily as you would hope, once I get the toes in it's easier to just discard the aide and try and spread the stocking open enough with my hands and fingers so as to not damage the heel skin. I don't know if that makes any more sense, but basically we need the holder to hold the opening much wider in order to get the stocking up over the heel. Make any better sense? Thank you for all of the suggestions - keep 'em comin'! Danny and I will go through them together and decide which might be our next best move.

P.S. - We thought about a pump system, but the general concensus was (here and through a friend who is a physical therapist) that that might be more dangerous and cause a blood clot to dislodge, which is a whole other scary animal! Danny had so many long-term blood clots in one of his legs that the "residual" clots are stuck there (at least that what we have been told). He can't afford Lovenox and almost bled to death on Coumadin, so (sigh) he has opted to have regular ultrasounds and is on no blood thinner at this time. As a side note, the last ultrasound he had in November showed all clear - no new clots - so far, so good.
    Last edited by Nickib; 12-20-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: To add P.S.

You will find a ton here.
    www.compressionstockings.com

What compression is he using? Are his legs quite swollen right now?

It's a little hard for me to picture your exact problem. Actually, your Donner works best when you use it to put stockings on yourself. It is a little more awkward to have an aid help you. With an aid I would actually recommend hanging his feet over the edge of the bed, have the aid ?on the floor or on a chair next to the bed, with the Donner on the floor to help guide/direct/pull. As he is pushing/lowering the foot (point the toe!!) into the opening, sometimes the aid can use a finger to pull back the stocking top FROM THE OUTSIDE BACK of the stocking if the heel gets stuck as it goes in.

Here's a video for how to use the Donner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SW_QQ5I-m0

It makes it look way too easy. These stockings are not high compression, obviously. My Dad also likes using this pair of gloves to help pull the stocking up (using the friction). They are sold by Sigvaris, who makes very good stockings.

http://www.ameswalker.com/sighosglov.html

I found the nurses in the rehab clinic and the nurses in the plastic surgery or wound care clinic very good at teaching how to put the stockings on using various techniques. The heel is hard to get over when you don't get it past the heel in the Donner.

I worry that the shear from pulling the stockings on/off could re-injure your heel sores. Another option is custom made compression stockings with zippers. This is what my father used when he had wounds on his lower legs.

Make sure he is using PRAFOs at night to protect those poor heels!

Well, we keep trying the donner and finally I think we got it! I'm a little embarrassed to say though . . . but I will, in the interest of maybe helping anyone else who might be struggling . . . that Danny had the "idea" of using the donner with the curved frame of the donner TOWARD him (backwards), rather than away from him, which is what we had been doing. The embarrasing thing? Uh, that's the way you are supposed to use it! I had been using it with the open side, not the curved frame side towards him & his heels - duh! It's amazing how much better the darn thing works when you use it properly! Oh well - like I said, in the interest of helping someone else, there is my confession. This morning, not only we were able to get the heel past his foot without much stress on his Band-Aid-covered newly healing heels, but we actually got the heel a little too far up and had to back it down a little - lol!

Thanks again for all of the help! We got an idea from one of the links SCI Nurse provided - the possibility of using a 6" wide piece of PVC pipe to roll the stocking down over which would allow him to put his whole foot in and then go from there. That's plan B if we need it. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all and thank you again!

And yes, boots on every single night and bandage change ever single morning!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    You will find a ton here.
    www.compressionstockings.com
    Wow, that site is awesome!

It's a sad state of affairs when someone like myself gets excited about finding another great resource to manage all this SCI bull$hit!