Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

Question Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

I am a paraplegic and use a wheelchair and I need a little help on what car you like best/use/know someone that uses?

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee but my parents are no helping me in learning to drive again because the don't think I can transfer to that height, so I am hoping for a 4 door car but will consider a 2 door as well.
    2000 or newer.

Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Para-Horse-Girl View Post
    Also I heard in the hospital that I would have to re-take the driving test (I didn't have my license taken away though) since I would be using hand controls, but when I look at the Oregon DMV website it says nothing about it....so do I or not?
    This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This varies by the state. CA does not require it, but we do recommend it because it validates your competence as a hand control driver, something that may be valuable if you should have an accident in the future.

Did you go to RIO??

(KLD)

I went to Emanuel

I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.

I drive a 2007 Ford Fusion. Considering upgrading in a few months to 2013. Been a great vehicle and easy to transfer in and out of. Also has a very large trunk.

-ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

When my wife went in to renew her license (Oregon) a couple of years after she was injured, they issued her one at the DMV. But then a week or 2 later, in the mail came a notice that it was invalidated, and she would have to take the test again.
    She wasn't either able or planning to drive anyway (pain meds, etc.), but it would have been only common courtesy to tell her while she was at their office. Instead we had to go in again, where she got an ID card instead of a driving license.
    So I haven't looked to see whether or not the manual says it, but it seems that Oregon requires a retest.
    - Richard

I have the Toyota Venza. Easy to get in to for me and I have plenty of room in the cargo area for when I have passengers. My chair fits back there with out taking it apart. I get about 23 mpg for the V6. Plenty of power and spacious. We have even camped out in the back of it just to say we did it....I'm really enjoying this car. Hope you find one that you like as well.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I had to get retested in Washington, parallel parking, backing around a corner, the whole bit. Now there is a restriction for a hand control on my license.

As for cars, look at a Mini Cooper. I saw one at Car Max and was impressed at how wide the door opened. It looked quite accessible as others are saying.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I am in process of attempting regaining my license. It was indefinately suspended. Have not driven in 10+ years. PA requires taking test as well as 20 hours training with the hand controls. I have had seizures, which complicates neurologically. Place I talked to about selling/installing controls actually is the place that will take me to PA DOT Driving Center for test. I am pretty sure in their vehicle which sounds correct. I think you need to pass everything until they would install them. All that sounds correct from a legal standpoint.

Yes, Mini pretty cool. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler sitting in my garage. Lifted and monster tires I bought as a 2nd vehicle before my accident. It only has 9k miles on it but manual transmission. Still not sure what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have a Mini-Cooper, it is a great car for a para. Easy to get into, plenty of room for your chair in the passenger seat and it is loads of fun.