Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy A Car (Paraplegic)

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Considering, against all my criticisms over the years, buying a mini-van with no lift. I hate Chrysler with a passion but I like the stow-n-go idea. Plus a remote side door button.

Not sure how that would work out? Price-wise it would work very well!

I own a 2004 Saturn as well but parts are getting harder and harder to find (not that it needs repair often but it's 8yrs old now).

My dream car is a British racing green Porsche with two white stripes down the middle .. anyone? Anyone? Christmas is coming ... my dream is Big Sur in that very car! I don't even have to be driving but I will handle the stick ... lol.
    I had one when I had the old farm, it could pull a horse trailer. It was pretty easy with the chair, just pull it in the side door and go. I would much rather drive a sports car than a mini-van though!
    Andrew

Someone else already said it, but I second the Monte Carlo, as long as you don't carry more than 1 passenger regularly. Those back seats are pretty small.

But, my Monte looks great, gets good mileage on the highway (33mpg), and when you "put your foot on the floor", it really moves! Sorry, that is still fun to me.

I am T7/8 complete and use a transfer board to get into Ford Windstar

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I am T7/8 complete and use a transfer board to get into Ford Windstar
    You're a T7 and you use a transfer board? Can I ask why?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I also have had a 2 door and 4 door.

Two door is easier but 4 door is not bad

I'm a t6-t8 para, and I drive a Hyundai Tucson. It's probably as high as a Grand Cherokee. Before I bought the Tucson, I looked at the Subaru Outbacks. They were affordable and pretty roomy. I also liked how it was easy it was, to put the rear seats down (the lever is easy to reach in the backseat, when you're in a wc). I'm not too sure about getting your license in Oregon, but I would see if there's a driving school that teaches people with disabilities, that you can talk to. Maybe Voc Rehab would know as well. Good luck!
    Last edited by xJdinox; 12-22-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    You're a T7 and you use a transfer board? Can I ask why?
    Because it is an easy way to get into the van. It is the only time I use it so I. can just leave it in the van. It makes it easier and easier is better

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Because it is an easy way to get into the van. It is the only time I use it so I. can just leave it in the van. It makes it easier and easier is better
    It makes sense to me, I have never used a transfer board in 29 years but I'm considering using one now for high cars cause I started to feel pain in shoulders only when doing these transfers.
    Your Ford Windstar seems high too, what kind of board do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    It makes sense to me, I have never used a transfer board in 29 years but I'm considering using one now for high cars cause I started to feel pain in shoulders only when doing these transfers.
    Your Ford Windstar seems high too, what kind of board do you use?
    Yes trying to avoid shoulder problems and I just use the thin wooden one I got in rehab over twenty years ago not really sure what kind/brand it is

My wife is a t4 para she drives a Jeep Cherokee. It's a pretty easy transfer. It works out good for us, since we can put both chairs in and still have a little room. We also have a Dodge Dakota, a Ford Focus, a GTO, and a classic Mustang. We like the Jeep best though.