Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16x18+1 85 Degree TiLite TR3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

16x18+1 85 Degree TiLite TR3

NOTE: Additional information about this TR3 can be found in the CareCure CAD Repository

It took a little while for us to get the opportunity to prescribe one, but this is the first of four TR3's recently spec'd by myself and a colleague...

The Specs...

16"W x 18"D
    19" Custom Frame Depth
    85˚ Front Angle
    19" Front / 17" Rear STF Heights
    Occupied Frame Length (Schulte): 25.1"
    17" Seat-To-Footrest
    Tapered Front End w/ 10" Footrest Width
    12”-16.5” Titanium Folding Locking Backrest Set @ 12"
    92˚ Back Angle
    3.5" Center Of Gravity (3.75" in pictures)
    .75" Rear Wheel Spacing
    2˚Carbon Fiber Camber Tube
    Tilite Standard Fork / Titanium Stems
    24" Golz Twin-star Exchange Wheels/Surge LT's /Schwalbe Speedruns
    Composite Scissor Lock
    Small Carbon Fiber Removable Side Guards
    Ride Designs Corbac
    5x1.4" Frog Legs Aluminum Soft Roll Casters (Replaced OEM 5x1.5 "Plastic Caster/Poly Tire")

It was spec'd for a user with a low level SCI who has been using 80 degree Terminators before TopEnd was owned by Invacare. He should have a much easier time coming to a standing position to load his chair into his vehicle with the 85 degree +1 custom frame...

Over the past week, I had the chance to use this chair for ~3 hours or so. While it is a tad bit narrow for me and I'd want another 1-2" of seat dump, one thing became very clear--The TR3 is one extremely easy pushing, straight tracking, smooth riding custom rigid frame. Doug Garven and his colleagues have designed a stylish, efficient, and well-engineered wheelchair.

In addition to the curved backrest rigidizer bar and the inward slant of the lower frame rail, there were a couple of things that stood out.

A 3.5" COG is required in order to get the curved frame. While that value could be tippy on a ZR for some users, a TR3 with the same setting is actually front heavy.

Unlike TiLite's cantilevered models, the side guard clamps can be moved fore or aft on the frame. Instead of drilling a hole in the frame and running a dowel through the clamp into the hole, the TR uses two small rails riveted to the underside of the seat rail which allow the side guards to be moved on the frame without having to be excessively tightened to prevent rotation. If you happen to choose the wrong size for your side guard, moving the clamp might prevent having to buy new side guards.

Boxed frame or cantilevered frame is usually a matter of personal preference. Personally, if I had the choice between a ZR Series 2 or a new TR3, I have no doubt which model I would choose.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 12-17-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Thumbs up

All the best with your new years resolution regarding the "OFL". Kudos!

Very nice TR. Someone is getting an early Xmas present. I really like the available adjustment on the folding sideguard brackets. Anyone know if this is being done on the ZR/ZRa as well?

Anymore backrest issue?
    It looks like plus 2 inches insdeed of 1 inches.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Anymore backrest issue?
    It will be nicer with the TR2 backrest folding sistem.

Anymore backrest issue?
    Interesting you mention that because I was wondering the same thing. I don't know if I've just become accustomed to seeing 1.,25" frame tubing or if TiLite did, in fact, lengthen the standard frame on this model.

I plan on emailing Josh and Garven about the matter tomorrow.

Just heard from none other than Doug Garven himself. There is an additional 1/2" of tubing before the bend on a standard TR3 frame. Technically speaking, that makes this a 16x18+1.5" 85 degree frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Just heard from none other than Doug Garven himself. There is an additional 1/2" of tubing before the bend on a standard TR3 frame. Technically speaking, that makes this a 16x18+1.5" 85 degree frame.
    Thank for your information.
    Does this apply to ZR too?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Bingo ... that about explains the unexplainable .8" OFL difference I noticed between your TR3 and my recent ZR:

TR3 18+1 85º = 25.1"OFL
    ZR 16+1 85º = 22.3" OFL
    diff> 2" OFL diff >> 2.8"

I would like this clarified, maybe even a drawing of some sort. I ordered my chair as 16" + 3/4" and one can run their finger under the bar to feel where the bending process starts and my bend starts exactly at 3/4" past the upholstry. That said, the bend seems to be a very slow bend, so maybe the extra 1/2" Doug claims is in the bend itself.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I would like this clarified, maybe even a drawing of some sort. I ordered my chair as 16" + 3/4" and one can run their finger under the bar to feel where the bending process starts and my bend starts exactly at 3/4" past the upholstry. That said, the bend seems to be a very slow bend, so maybe the extra 1/2" Doug claims is in the bend itself.
    Thus far not many CADs show OFL yet but yours does: 16 +.75 85º OFL 22.8”

Tube diameter and dump variations aside, my 16 +1.00 85º OFL of 22.3” would indicate your OFL should be roughly 22.1”, .7" less than shown.

BUT, throwing in what you've often pointed out, that TiLite adds a small amount of frame length to chairs equipped w/ FrogLeg suspension forks, your .7” excess is (maybe) explained. In the bend? The straight? Agree with you TiLite needs to clarify.

SCI_OTR - Occupied Frame Length is going to be a hugely-useful dimension, fills in the big blank between FSH and RSH. I'm sure your mission will succeed.
    Last edited by nofuss; 12-18-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: CADs