Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 16x18+1 85 Degree TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Just heard from none other than Doug Garven himself. There is an additional 1/2" of tubing before the bend on a standard TR3 frame. Technically speaking, that makes this a 16x18+1.5" 85 degree frame.
    Thank for your information.
    Does this apply to ZR too?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Just heard from none other than Doug Garven himself. There is an additional 1/2" of tubing before the bend on a standard TR3 frame. Technically speaking, that makes this a 16x18+1.5" 85 degree frame.
    Bingo ... that about explains the unexplainable .8" OFL difference I noticed between your TR3 and my recent ZR:

TR3 18+1 85º = 25.1"OFL
    ZR 16+1 85º = 22.3" OFL
    diff> 2" OFL diff >> 2.8"

I would like this clarified, maybe even a drawing of some sort. I ordered my chair as 16" + 3/4" and one can run their finger under the bar to feel where the bending process starts and my bend starts exactly at 3/4" past the upholstry. That said, the bend seems to be a very slow bend, so maybe the extra 1/2" Doug claims is in the bend itself.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I wish I could tell you for certain. One of the TR3's in our pipeline does have more dump and has a seat size that I can fit in. It may take a few weeks, but I'll have a better idea when that chair arrives.
    SCI_OTR, I look forward to your review of that chair. Looks like my plan of getting the TR3 this year has to be put on hold.

At the same time, if you have the opportunity, I would appreciate if you could check if the Round Betty CF back fits the rounded rigidizer bar of the TR3.

Thanks.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I would like this clarified, maybe even a drawing of some sort. I ordered my chair as 16" + 3/4" and one can run their finger under the bar to feel where the bending process starts and my bend starts exactly at 3/4" past the upholstry. That said, the bend seems to be a very slow bend, so maybe the extra 1/2" Doug claims is in the bend itself.
    Thus far not many CADs show OFL yet but yours does: 16 +.75 85º OFL 22.8”

Tube diameter and dump variations aside, my 16 +1.00 85º OFL of 22.3” would indicate your OFL should be roughly 22.1”, .7" less than shown.

BUT, throwing in what you've often pointed out, that TiLite adds a small amount of frame length to chairs equipped w/ FrogLeg suspension forks, your .7” excess is (maybe) explained. In the bend? The straight? Agree with you TiLite needs to clarify.

SCI_OTR - Occupied Frame Length is going to be a hugely-useful dimension, fills in the big blank between FSH and RSH. I'm sure your mission will succeed.
    Last edited by nofuss; 12-18-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: CADs

Two points of clarification nofuss...

1) I requested the OFL, hence why it is in my CAD and 2) SCI_OTR is actually the one that has stated TiLite adds length to chairs equipped with Frog Leg forks; this isn't something I have always subscribed to.

Here is a closeup, although blurry, picture that shows where my bend starts...

Here is a closeup, although blurry, picture that shows where my bend starts...
    Might they measure from the top? The tube compression/radius doesn't appear to start for another little bit, measured that way.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

... I requested the OFL, hence why it is in my CAD ...
    Right, as did I. Hopefully OFL will be a standard dimension once SCI_QTR bends a bunch of arms.

Tell me please, is there ability to reduce COG from 3.75'' to 3'' on a wheelchair in the start of this thread?