Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $5-Million For Stem Cell Research..

$5-Million For Stem Cell Research..

Jan 27, 2005 9:03 pm US/Central
    The University of Texas Health Science Center says it has received $5-million dollars for cardiovascular stem cell research. Health science center president Doctor James T- Willerson says the gift will be split evenly between the health science center and the Texas Heart Institute to establish stem cell research endowments. Willerson says the gift would help broaden basic stem cell research as well as develop treatment efforts for patients with coronary artery disease and severe heart failure. UT-Houston received a separate $25-million gift for stem cell research last year, making it the state's leader in that research field. UT-Houston is the only institution at the Texas Medical Center working with stem cells derived from human embryos from the existing cell lines approved by the federal government. Stem cells, which can come from adults and donated embryos, could potentially be used to repair spinal cord injuries and reverse effects of degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. But research involving destruction of human embryos has generated heated debate over possibilities of stellar medical breakthroughs versus immoral or unethical sacrifice of embryos for studies that may or may not produce results.

Godspeed~
    Susan

Originally posted by Superstar~:

But research involving destruction of human embryos has generated heated debate over possibilities of stellar medical breakthroughs versus immoral or unethical sacrifice of embryos for studies that may or may not produce results.

Godspeed~
    Susan
    Thanks Susan. I really don't get this part. Why is it that they only generate heated debates when concerning stem cell research and not IVF clinics? All the scientists want is the excess from the IVF clinics that would be destroyed anyway. There is no debate if they close the IVF clinics.

hope2findacure,

Common sense tells me they are either ignorant, ill informed or simply don't care about a cure for our catastrophic condition.

You make complete sense, they do not.
    However, i will bring this up in the Austin newspaper. Thanks you very much for shinning the light on this article! Great point!!!
    Godspeed~
    Susan

Originally posted by hope2findacure:

All the scientists want is the excess from the IVF clinics that would be destroyed anyway. There is no debate if they close the IVF clinics.
    Hope, hmmm, very well said!!! However, we all know that IVF is indispensable to the world now.

Suzanne

Originally posted by Suzanne Poon:

Originally posted by hope2findacure:
    All the scientists want is the excess from the IVF clinics that would be destroyed anyway. There is no debate if they close the IVF clinics.
    Hope, hmmm, very well said!!! However, we all know that IVF is indispensable to the world now.

Suzanne
    Suzanne, that is precisely the point I think Hope is trying to make. The blastcysts get destroyed either way.
    Wouldn't it be better if they could save lives?

So if we have no problems with IVF, why would we have problems with Stem Cell Research?

Stem Cell Research in essence is pro-Life, compared to what happens with the by-products of IVF.

Bottom line is that it is hypocritical to be ok with IVF but not with stem cell research.

~ Choices Are The Hinges Of Destiny ~

another great point Faye, thanks i will use this. It is sure to raise some eyebrows..

Godspeed~
    Susan

Faye,
    I totally agree with you, and I've educated many regarding IVF and stem cell lines that are scheduled to be destroyed (to the best of my ability, I don't understand all aspects). I feel that it is the same as donating an organ.
    It's been my experience that most know far less than I, and don't really even correlate the two in that with IVF, there are "leftovers".
    C

Yes Faye,
    You said exactly the point I was driving at.
    You will do great Susan if you can make them bring that out into the light. It is simply swept under the rug for reasons I can't understand.

I wrote a letter to my Texas Senators. Senator Cornyn answered me recently and said "in regard to embryonic stem cell research, I believe that every life is a precious gift from God." I believe this with all my heart too. How does he believe this, when he would stand by and allow people to die for the sake of something that will be treated as medical waste in the IVF clinics?

He is not valueing my husband's life for one, as far as I'm concerned. He went on to say he supported President Bush's policy on funding those limited embryonic stem cell lines that were already in existence and basicly feels that is adequate to do the necessary research.

Not true. All of those existing stem cell lines are contaminated with mouse feeder cells from the way that they were cultured. They are not safe for human use. They are a dead end. Senator Cornyn also bragged about the fact that he co-sponsored Brownback's bill, which would make SCNT punishable by 10 years in prison and a 1 million dollar fine.

You know, I told him that I lose an unfertilized egg every month down the toilet. Yes that is a potential life. If sperm met the egg, conception would take place. With SCNT, sperm and egg never meet and conception never takes place. An unfertilized egg that is slated to be destroyed in an IVF clinic could be used with the donors consent and a single cell from a patient inserted into the unfertilized egg. This would create stem cells. Not a life. Genes would not be male/female, only 100 percent DNA of the patient. There seems to be no conflict or controversy about organ donors donating their bodily parts if they should die for the sake of another person to live. It is considered an individual's decision. I don't see this as being any different. So they are worried that SCNT could possibly be taken one step further? So ban human cloning. Everyone agrees we should ban human cloning. SCNT and human cloning are 2 seperate issues. They grow skin for burn victims, and they could grow cells of a person's own DNA. The wonders of modern medicine. I can't believe that anyone would support such legislation that could drive people like us from our own country should a cure be found using SCNT which is simply modern medicine. I sincerely believe it is simply a lack of education and understanding as you said Susan.

Hope2findacure,
    Wow, you explain very well.
    I understand more now.
    Thank You,
    C

I do understand the whole concept, but Faye and Hope, especially Hope, has put them very well in words!!

Susan, Good job!

Suzanne