Thread: Has anybody watched the program:Explorations Brain and Body 2

Has anybody watched the program:Explorations Brain and Body 2

I flicked on the TV and watched this program on National Geographic called :Explorations Brain and Body 2..this maybe old news..if so no harm done.. but they were talking about TOTAL return and they showed that the nerve had bridged the gap and rejoined..i only caught the tail end of it but i ran a search and found the script..
    here's the link
    http://www.nextstep.co.th/Elistening...g_Script4.html

go to the bottom of the page and you'll see:Explorations Brain and Body 2..there's 2 links in red..they are both written in Thai..the top link it's English..

Bob,

In the summer of 04 I saw a program about the Vacanti brothers (all were Drs. & researchers), Martin (Vacanti) was working on spinal cord regeneration. He was making significant breakthroughs then but I have heard nothing to date.

Schmeky: I just read that there's four of them and are all researchers.as you said..what got me about the program was how blown away and excited he was about how muh function the rats got back..he said it was totally unexpected and went on to say that people with SCI will be able to walk normally ..sensation..the works

All four brothers are physicians - Jay, 53, a surgeon; Chuck, 51, and Frank, 47, anesthesiologists; and Marty, 49, a pathologist. All four are trying to solve the nation's shortage of donor organs and replacement tissues by growing them in the laboratory from a handful of cells ( Tissue engineering)
    Source

~ Choices Are The Hinges Of Destiny ~

From the NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/library/natio...ge-tissue.html

Researchers at the University of Massachusetts Medical School have taken immature cells from the spinal cords of adult rats, induced them to grow and then implanted them in the gap of the severed spinal cords of paralyzed rats.

Within two weeks, the paralyzed animals began to move, the scientists say, and within three months several of them could stand and walk.

The experiment is one of several at laboratories around the world that researchers say provide increased evidence that, with still much more research to come, they will be able to conquer one of the oldest problems in medicine: treating people permanently paralyzed as a result of severed, crushed or diseased spinal cords.

Dr. Charles A. Vacanti, who headed the team at the University of Massachusetts in Worcester, said the animals could not scurry like normal rats but walked in a coordinated way. Some lived two years longer with no loss of mobility, he said.

"To us this was a spectacular finding," Dr. Vacanti said, "showing not only that the animals recovered their ability to walk but also to perceive fairly normal sensation."

The reaction to the University of Massachusetts work among medical scientists has been varied. Some call it a stunning accomplishment; others want to wait for further research, with one suggesting that the new mobility may simply be "step walking," a kind of jolting, muscle response that may come from the experimentation itself rather than from brain messages.

Still the Massachusetts work is one of the most startling efforts in the rapidly evolving field of tissue engineering in which biologists and biomedical engineers are growing living tissue in incubators and bio-reactors. The goal is to create living replacement parts for the human body that will work better than synthetic parts or scarce transplants.

Dr. Vacanti's team has been working in collaboration with a team headed by his brother, Dr. Joseph P. Vacanti at Harvard Medical School -- in fact, a total of four Vacanti brothers are involved in tissue engineering -- and a team headed by Dr. Robert Langer at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.......

~ Choices Are The Hinges Of Destiny ~

he said it was totally unexpected and went on to say that people with SCI will be able to walk normally ..sensation..the works
    Bob, excuse my Cajun French, but. . .No Sh_t?? Hopefully, "the works" would include sensation of my "schmekel" (aka, Schmeky's "private' part). That's a heartening proclamation. Wonder if this Vacanti needs to know about the HKU-SCI upcoming clinical trials?

I will try to find his e-mail adress or mailing adress and let him know. I'll see what additional info I can find as well.