Thread: Non SCI related medical question-Nurse perhaps?

Non SCI related medical question-Nurse perhaps?

Frostbite/nip?
    On Monday I was at a ski race and it was bitter/bitter cold-well below zero not counting windchill. I totally froze the tips of my fingers on the first chair up. I mean this quite literally-the tissue on the pads of my 2nd,3rd and fourth fingers tips became quite white and hard-as did the tip of my nose. I was of course wearing gloves but it was 7 in the morning and it was a long chair ride with an additional delay where a fellow racer and I were exposed to high winds above treeline.

I was out all day and my fingers were quite painful all day-in a weird lack of sensation way That night I noticed that the pads of my fingers were raised slightly and red-like thick blisters with a small amount of fluid underneath. The fluid dissipated by the morning but they remained red and felt like a burn with altered sensation.

It has been six days and they have not turned black and fallen off (JK)-but they remain red, quite painful and the skin is thickened and painful-still like a burn.

Any thoughts on what I should do-if anything. BTW, the damaged skin on my nose kind of peeled off and I have no issues with it now. My fingers are worse though.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

OK, disclaimer again here. I am not a nurse, doctor or other medical type. I grew up in Wisconsin though and am back here again. If there is an Urgent Care clinic around go to it; if not go to the ER. Why does everyone wait until weekends to write in? You need to see a doc because it sure sounds like the beginning of frost bite to me and we don't heal as quickly as we did as ABs. Follow whatever course the docs tell you to or until you can see a dermatologist. In the future get equipment for the rides up and waits that you can swap out to race gear in the future. Get going and good luck on a fast heal.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks to both of you. There are no open wounds, just some pain and thickened skin. You know when you get blisters and then the fluid is absorbed and the skin re-adheres? That is kind of what it is like. It actually doesn't look too bad at all-that is why I hadn't gone to a doctor-plus nobody takes my insurance in this crazy town. I don't have a camera for pictures, though it probably wouldn't show much really.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I thought you had Romney Care up there? LOL I'd give your local ER or Urgent care place a call on Monday and see if they might want a demonstration of healing frostbite to show their staff. From now on you also need to keep your nose covered by goggles, a face hood or sunscreen and any new moles or spots treat like possible sun cancer. See a doctor if you see any moles, tags or other strange growths in the years ahead. And you need to be careful as your skin sloughs off your fingers. Try not to keep them wet for very long and pat them dry rather than rub with towels.

Don't these sports events have an EMT on hand?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Stay out of the cold!You should see a doctor but keeping htem warm and maybe taking a low dose aspirin 81 mg to keep blood circulating would be helpful until then!
    Get some extra padded gloves or wear two pair!
    CWO