Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Darkness on the heel of my right foot (picture)

Thumbs down Darkness on the heel of my right foot (picture)

Good evening everyone. I wanted to show you all a few pictures my girlfriend took of my right heel. It started like this a week ago

and now it looks like this.

Does this look like it could be the beginning stages of a pressure sore ?
    Last edited by Colin83; 12-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.

I'm still at Mobile Infirmary. This was acquired while I was here.

The first picture looks like a Stage (Category) 1 pressure sore.
    The skin is intact.
    The skin appears red on people with lighter skin color, and the skin doesn't briefly lighten (blanch) when touched.
    On people with darker skin, there may be no change in the color of the skin, and the skin doesn't blanch when touched. Or the skin may appear ashen, bluish or purple.
    The site may be painful, firm, soft, warmer or cooler compared with the surrounding skin.

The second picture look lke a Stage (Catgory) 2 pressure sore.
    The outer layer of skin (epidermis) and part of the underlying layer of skin (dermis) is damaged or lost.
    The pressure ulcer may appear as a shallow, pinkish-red, basin-like wound.
    It may also appear as an intact or ruptured fluid-filled blister.

Has a medical professional been shown the sore? Has any treatment been proposed?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The first picture looks like a Stage (Category) 1 pressure sore.
    The skin is intact.
    The skin appears red on people with lighter skin color, and the skin doesn't briefly lighten (blanch) when touched.
    On people with darker skin, there may be no change in the color of the skin, and the skin doesn't blanch when touched. Or the skin may appear ashen, bluish or purple.
    The site may be painful, firm, soft, warmer or cooler compared with the surrounding skin.

The second picture look lke a Stage (Catgory) 2 pressure sore.
    The outer layer of skin (epidermis) and part of the underlying layer of skin (dermis) is damaged or lost.
    The pressure ulcer may appear as a shallow, pinkish-red, basin-like wound.
    It may also appear as an intact or ruptured fluid-filled blister.

Has a medical professional been shown the sore? Has any treatment been proposed?

All the best,
    GJ
    For whatever reason these photo did not appear in my first post.

GJ

My regular floor nurses have been shown the spot, but they haven't done any treatment to it. The wound staff has not been shown because we were told they weren't available during the weekends.

Why the definitive line where the dry skin starts? What shoes or socks do you wear that are restricting dermal circulation?

Keep your foot raised and 'hovering' over the bed by placing a very soft pillow under your calves ... temporarily ... until you can see a wound care nurse.

I wanna say you'll get lucky and it'll dry up and fall off ... but there is a very dark colouring around the scabby area which denotes deep pressure.

Anything circular like that is PRESSURE. Hope it heals fast ... that dry skin is also indicative of poor circulation.

In my experience, get a good blood work-up across the board looking at ferritin, sugar, thyroid or any nutritional imbalance that would delay healing. That is something your doc can do tomorrow and you'll have it one day sooner come Monday.

Very good chance of osteomyelitis there (bone infection which could lead to sepsis and death or amputation). Trying intentionally to scare the hell out of you!!!

To be taken VERY seriously as the bone is very close to skin there and our tendons are kaput so they don't act as cushion between bone & skin. Second worse place for a pressure sore with coccyx taking first.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Demand to see a resident or even better the on-call attending. Medicare and other payers/regulatory agencies are taking a very bad view of hospital-acquired pressure ulcers. Your medical team is supposed to be proactive and do everything they can to prevent sores from developing/worsening. If nobody wants to do anything on a weekend, the words 'JCAHO Accreditation' should get a quick response.

Compare to this deep tissue pressure wound I had on my heel a few years ago: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=116885

Colin, especially after an operation like yours you need this seen because any infection that might develop in your foot could quickly go to your surgery site. Call your primary RN on the call button or send H. and tell the nurse that you need to see the attending doctor on call or the house resident NOW. Let the nurse know that your doctor would not have operated on you if you had a pressure sore. This is the hospital's problem now. Do you have any bunny boots that support the heels in the air from when you were in rehab? If so ask H. to bring them in. But have a doctor or wound care nurse in to check that out tonight. That's why doctors make the big bucks. :-)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks everyone for your input. One of the resident doctors just came in and told me to elevate it under a pillow. He has cut a hole in my Ted hose where my heel is to reduce pressure on the sore. He also told me to make sure to keep it very dry. He said he'd try and get a neurologist doctor in tomorrow to take a look at it but I'd have to wait till Monday morning for a wound doctor to look at it.