Thread: Getting into basements

Getting into basements

I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll start here. Does anyone have any tricks to get down into someone's basement besides being carried down in the chair? I am in a manual chair and it seems like all of our friends have finished basements with bars , etc...

strong friend with some liquid courage in them.

Safe way to go down the stairs is to have one strong person below you (on the stairs) and pop a nice wheelie at the top of the stairs. Then have them hold your footplate and gently bump you down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

going up after a few whisky pops maybe strongest person pulling with a safety on the bottom side stabilizing that footplate again... Ive been dropped down a few flights of stairs by drunkards, but all in good fun.

I ran a chair without any form of push-handles for 11 months and they just used the backrest rigidizer bar, although not so great for their back yarding me out of the man-cave.

Good luck, have fun. Pack supplies enough so that if everyone passes out you can stay the night (safest thing anyway)

I go outside. But have large house and lot.

What do you mean? Do you not want to be carried at all or are you looking for an easy way to be carried without the chair?

This is what I do. I get carried in and set down in a chair or couch then they just go grab the chair in a separate trip. The seat-carry is by far the easiest because the majority of the weight is being supported by the carrier's shoulders and is distributed between two people:

(pictured: not me)

I used to have an elecrtic/battery powered stairlift. I'd transfer onto it, ride down the stairs, and use a spare wheelchair I kept at the bottom of the stairs for use while in the basement. I left my everyday chair upstairs, until I went back upstairs.

Lol, but that was for my house...at someone else's...being carried is probably the only option.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 12-17-2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: added statement

Brian...I push my chair ouside through garage. Go into the yard, push myself around to basement door, open and go in. It not easy, and is sloped, but do it. In other places in the yard I have fallen. I get pissed, get up and move on. ONLY adjust ment in my houe for wheelchair is a homemade wooden ramp in garage. Maybe 3'x3'.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    What do you mean? Do you not want to be carried at all or are you looking for an easy way to be carried without the chair?
    Brian...I push my chair ouside through garage.
    I meant what does ikeraider8 mean by the original post.

Independent stair decent

You can turn around and holding the hand rail, bump down backwards. There are some youtube videos showing different techniques for going up and down stairs.

I'm going to ask perhaps a silly question -- and I didn't see anywhere what your disability level is -- Can you get into your chair from the floor?
    If so, you can bump down the stairs on your butt, have someone carry the chair down, and then transfer back in. Sometimes I get lucky and the level & the location of the last step is fairly even with the chair.
    Same process in reverse. But I realize many (if not most) people on here couldn't do that.

Without some strong people to carry me in the chair I sit on the steps and use the railing to boost down two at a time. It's helpful if someone holds your feet, the same for going up. It's easy to get in the chair at the bottom since two steps up makes for an easy transfer over. Love walk out basements!
    Andrew