Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: petition to the us government

Quote Originally Posted by carbar View Post
    Good luck with this.
    Back in 2008 a group here on CC also started a petition. It's original aim was for a million signatures, then it was scaled back to 100,000; but over a 4 year span the total of signatures worldwide was just over 16,000.

You can read the whole development of the petition etc on this CC link:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=111488
    So from what you're saying, we shouldn't bother signing petitions and just keep quiet about it? Have you signed and shared this one?

A positive contribution would help no matter how small, its asking for a tenth of a quarter of the one you're reffering, besides, distributing this got easier with newer facebook functions we now have compared to 2008...
    There is no excuse.

Do we have to throw in a chance to win a free frekin' ipod to get the 25k signatures?
    Last edited by Moe; 12-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    "Talk without the support of action means nothing..."
    ― DaShanne Stokes

***Unite(D) to Fight Paralyses***

No, I wouldn't presume to tell you to drop what you are doing. I just wanted you to know that in order to reach your target in a short timeframe you really have to think big and spread the word on a very big scale. It's true that since 2008 the internet has expanded significantly particularly the social network, but even with the likes of Facebook/Twitter and other outlets it is an ambitious task to reach the numbers.

Here is my 2 cents: Not saying it is a bad idea, but this needs to be better planned and structured. I personally didnt sign it because the "petition" didnt ask for anything structured. It just stated a few facts. If I was in the white house and I recieved this I would say "well sucks for them ... hope it gets better". Two things need to be addressed: what are the goals of said petition and (big one here) WHY SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT CARE AND WASTE MONEY ON THIS(especially when they have wars and green lawns to fertilize). Unfortunately most people don't care about our special needs(seeing how there are hundreds of diseases, some worse like ALS; and so many other people asking for money). So to grab their attention we need to state facts about how much annual upkeep is costing them and how by doing nothing its costing them more in the long run. Money runs the world, if you want someone to do something you need to convince them they are losing money for not doing it. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    Here is my 2 cents: Not saying it is a bad idea, but this needs to be better planned and structured. I personally didnt sign it because the "petition" didnt ask for anything structured. It just stated a few facts. If I was in the white house and I recieved this I would say "well sucks for them ... hope it gets better". Two things need to be addressed: what are the goals of said petition and (big one here) WHY SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT CARE AND WASTE MONEY ON THIS(especially when they have wars and green lawns to fertilize). Unfortunately most people don't care about our special needs(seeing how there are hundreds of diseases, some worse like ALS; and so many other people asking for money). So to grab their attention we need to state facts about how much annual upkeep is costing them and how by doing nothing its costing them more in the long run. Money runs the world, if you want someone to do something you need to convince them they are losing money for not doing it. Hope this helps
    Havok, have you read the petition?

57.5 % employed at time of injury
    11.5 % employed one year after injury
    35.4% employed twenty years after injury
    •Average lifetime costs for paraplegics, age of injury 25: $428,000
    •Average lifetime costs for quadriplegics, age of injury 25: $1.35 million

What more could we add? Its a shame that the time you had to write your post you havnt bothered signing nor distribute it.
    ― DaShanne Stokes

Moe, I was the 2nd sig, but the way it was written threw me off, I posted it on facebook and put a disclaimer on it, that you didn't have to have an sci to sign, my fiancée has an extended facebook friends list and put it up, my sister signed it, but again I think the way it was written stops many non sci individuals from signing, think it's a good thing though. The other thing is the registration process, if it was just signing it, more people would sign, just the way it is.
    Definitely a good idea though, if it doesn't work, we could try again.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Havok, have you read the petition?

57.5 % employed at time of injury
    11.5 % employed one year after injury
    35.4% employed twenty years after injury
    •Average lifetime costs for paraplegics, age of injury 25: $428,000
    •Average lifetime costs for quadriplegics, age of injury 25: $1.35 million

What more could we add? Its a shame that the time you had to write your post you havnt bothered signing nor distribute it.
    But its leaving too many questions. "ok so they want money" "they want research" "they want better wheelchairs" ??? what do "we" want?

If you don't get 25K signatures, consider the old fashion method: http://www.thedailybackground.com/ho...rite-congress/

[QUOTE=khmorgan;1628343]If you don't get 25K signatures, consider the old fashion method: http://www.thedailybackground.com/how-to-write-congress/[/QUOTE]

Nah, I wouldn't bother. It's been only 2 years I’ve been injured but just starting now to realize that the SCI community is not as strong as any other average Joe one when it comes to petitions...

I’m glad that 15 min of my time contributed at least 35 American/Canadian signatures so far to my American friends. Yes I’m Canadian; I didn’t create it but did what I could as a member of a community to help us being heard. I imagined that we were capable each one of us to succeed a bunch of signatures to chip in… Instead, I get the feeling that I’m in the wrong place.

Btw, check this example of a petition off the same site… 57,000 sign so far, it was created around the same time and hek, it’s a lot less clear of what they want than ours!!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/investigate-irs-tax-exempt-status-westboro-baptist-church/YrKbHYtV

“Investigate the IRS Tax-Exempt Status of the Westboro Baptist Church”
    -Yeah they’re bad people… but investigate what? Fraud? Unpaid Taxes? Eligibility? But still… 57,000 sign so far in just 5 days…No lazy registrars / distributors to petition on this one here… but hey... were not in prioriority, we're comfortable in our chairs, right?

Just making a few points myself by using some sarcasm, no hard feelings...
    ― DaShanne Stokes

[QUOTE=Moe;1628683]
    Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    If you don't get 25K signatures, consider the old fashion method: http://www.thedailybackground.com/how-to-write-congress/[/QUOTE]

Nah, I wouldn't bother. It's been only 2 years I’ve been injured but just starting now to realize that the SCI community is not as strong as any other average Joe one when it comes to petitions...
    Moe,

I like your energy and I hope you can take some time to consider all the players of the SCI game, before making any plan like a petition, etc..
    For example if you want to have an impact with an action you want to have an SCI org like the Reeve Foundation on your side or if they are not on your side you want to know why.
    Since you are from Canada you may want to start from what Rick Hansen has been doing and what went wrong.
    You can't just ignore the existing SCI orgs as they actually have a lot of visibility (power) and controll a lot of the SCI world, including cure actions.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

[QUOTE=paolocipolla;1629854]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Moe,

I like your energy and I hope you can take some time to consider all the players of the SCI game, before making any plan like a petition, etc..
    For example if you want to have an impact with an action you want to have an SCI org like the Reeve Foundation on your side or if they are not on your side you want to know why.
    Since you are from Canada you may want to start from what Rick Hansen has been doing and what went wrong.
    You can't just ignore the existing SCI orgs as they actually have a lot of visibility (power) and controll a lot of the SCI world, including cure actions.

Paolo
    Paolo,

I suggest you to read the posts from the beginning, you'll find out that I didn't create it, I just went along with it.

From what you quoted it was me being sarcastic as mentioned at the end of my last post.

Also I suggest that you stop all your suggestions in my behalf... I can make my own decisions and didn't ask for your advice. I’ve read the kind of posts you’ve been writing and quite frankly I don’t like them. So beleve me I know who to ask advise when needed.

Thanks the same.

Moe
    ― DaShanne Stokes