Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Afraid to switch from condom/leg bag to Intermitten Catheterization

Quote Originally Posted by crispy1981 View Post
    yes...for someone just starting out like me...sure does seem like a hassle but I need to protect the kidneys and Sphincterotomy is a big decision...you lose the option of IC. I used to IC when in a relationship...so would hate to lose the romance option.
    Ya, I get the protecting kidneys part, but I don't really get the rest of it. I can't feel my junk anyhow so I figure what's the difference and I never really could sustain a good enough erection for any real meaningful sex anyhow and as I got older it just got worse. Soooo, I just figured screw it. Totally protect my kidneys, have no hassles with I/C'ing, fewer UTI's so I'll live longer and here I am. I go through a whole day without seeing a bathroom generally, it's great. To me living a hassle free healthy life is the most important thing rather than some dream of being a stud which was probably never going to happen anyhow.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Crispy, your list was a big one.

Some times my body just seems to dump fluid for no apparent reason. You will get better at recognizing it and cathing more often with time. And yes, if your bladder gets too full you still run the risk of kidney damage.

On my fluid intake, I tend to drink a lot first thing in the morning, with caths about every two hours, to get a good flush. Then less for the rest of the day.

I do not flush before a cath.

On the wipes, I have progressed over the years from betadine, to alcohol wipes, to baby wipes, to a couple of sheets of toilet paper. I doubt that it makes any difference in infection rates. I think the important thing is that the tip of the catheter is as germ free as you can reasonably make it, and that you cath fairly often.

I think the betadine is incredibly harsh to the skin for something you are going to do every few hours for the rest of your days, and I doubt that it is doing that much to prevent infections. You are also killing a lot of good guys as well as bad guys.

Blockage is a serious issue. I don't have any advice, recall reading a post by someone who punctured their bladder and saying it was easy to do. So don't force it.

I have never used a closed system except to try once. I also found it awkward.

I think the ultrasound has replaced the intravenous pyelograms. I would be happy the kidneys showed normal and move on.

On your situation in general, it seems you have the following choices: 1) IC possibly with drugs or botox to relax the bladder, or an augmented bladder, 2) a sphincterotomy , or a supapubic. I would ask about long term problems with a sphincterotomy and supapubic. It seems that if the longer term dangers are acceptable either might be a better choice for you.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Theres no question either s/p or sphinc is the way to go after so many years of a neurogenic bladder.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred