Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new here seeking advice pain will not go away

'As classified by the social security administration' is pretty vague, that sounds like it just means it takes their definition of disability not that you must be approved for SSDI prior.

The website and medicaid forms say that when you are applying for medicaid with a disability to expect up to 90 days for a decision. If the decision was dependent on whether or not you've been approved for SSDI prior that shouldn't take 90 days. It doesn't sound so different from other states to me, still looks like they take your information and have a board of Drs who decide if you are disabled or not after reviewing your medical records.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 12-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    'As classified by the social security administration' is pretty vague, that sounds like it just means it takes their definition of disability not that you must be approved for SSDI prior.
    You do realize that people who don't "meet the definition" (meaning that they don't have one of the ailments on the SSA's list) are denied SSDI/SSI and are considered NOT DISABLED? right? She has been denied once and is appealing it. So theoretically she does NOT meet SSA's definition of disability because they said she doesn't. If her state Medicaid criteria states "as classified by the social security administration", how can she meet that disability definition without qualifying for SSDI?

Your state has a better program it seems from looking at their website. Your states program also covers undocumented aliens under adult medicaid. The only way they can get Medicaid in some other states is by having children and qualifying as a family.

In NC, medicaid does not have a separate board of doctors. Disability Determination uses the Social Security Administrations list and if your disability is not on that list then you are denied. However, if you appeal then you do get Medicaid benefits if you meet asset and income requirements.

A separate board of doctors is really a waste of states money as they are performing the same determination twice and most states have completely cut it out due to budget constraints. The notification for both comes from the same office in NC.

I don't have Medicaid and have not been eligible for 17 years but a cousin runs the CAP program in my hometown. I asked.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 12-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    this pain is classic of scoliosis that has gone uncorrected for years. as i said earlier, you do more damage to your nerves/spine the longer you wait to have surgery. it also becomes a bigger surgery the longer you wait and if you wait too long, the spine will be so curved no one will touch you. you need to start having this discussion with your doctors NOW and have them try to expedite, if possible, the transition onto medicaid
    They wouldn't touch me - said it wasn't bad enough.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    They wouldn't touch me - said it wasn't bad enough.
    right they have a lower and upper limit of curvature that they feel should be operated on. personally, i feel the lower limit needs to be lowered.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    http://jfs.ohio.gov/OHP/consumers/abd.stm

This should clear up questions.

Ohio uses the Social Security Administration for classification of disabled for Medicaid.

So your caseworker is telling you correctly. But since you are in a review situation...I would ask if they could approve based on the fact that you have applied.
    asked and they cannot approve just because I have applied, they have to wait for the state to make a decision
    Everyday it's something new, be honest with me and I'll be honest with you

Quote Originally Posted by wrightmsw View Post
    asked and they cannot approve just because I have applied, they have to wait for the state to make a decision
    Thats actually a good thing, a sign that they state is making a decision based on your case. What was the last medicaid application date? And forgive me for not rereading the thread, but was the last action a regular application or an appeal on a denial? Similarly (forgive me for not going back) you've applied for BOTH SSDI and SSI correct? They are separate. In Indiana you have to apply for SSI separately, because you can apply for SSDI off the federal website application but can't for SSI. If you made an appointment for SSDI though they should have sent you paperwork early on that explained the difference between the two of them and asking if you wanted to apply for SSI as well.

Just keep fighting. It can be SO difficult with disabilities that aren't on the list for immediate approval. I have multiple disabling conditions but they're rare which makes things more difficult than they have to be. With the info you've given, I also think medicaid is the more important one right now. Because it seems the big issue is not getting the medical care you need as a result of insurance. With being approved for disability, there is still a long wait before you get medicare. The guy I'm seeing is in a similar position right now. He's struggling due to mental health issues though which are even harder to prove. But he was denied for medicaid disability, but keeps looking at federal disability. He needs medical care the most, he's staying with family so not in danger of becoming homeless. But hes going to remain stuck until he gets the medical care he needs. Even if he was approved for disability, waiting 2 years for medicare isn't going to help his situation. (not to mention the issue that its even harder to be approved there!) If he can get on medicaid, he can start seeing the Drs he should be and get the medications he needs.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks, thats good to know! Especially with my own case. I think he has a bit of an unrealistic expectation. His mother is bipolar on disability and actually was approved very quickly, he claims she was approved due to her horrible work history of being unable to hold down a job which he has the same issue. But there are many people out there with the same work history that has nothing to do with disability, and SSDI is about disability! She was diagnosed bipolar and I believe had a pretty lengthy treatment history before she ever applied, though did have to wait the 2 years for medicare since she was approved quick. She hasn't been on disability for very long, and He's now 34 but he moved out of her house at 9 because she wasn't able to care for him due to the bipolar and not caring for herself. So that was a pretty long history. He doesn't have a diagnosis though a mild bipolar has been suggested, but without the insurance he's not seeing qualified drs or staying with anyone long enough. His dad was paying for him to see a psych but then he found out the payments bounced and couldn't go back to that Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    He has to be diagnosed with a disabling condition!
    Yep, exactly. And imo he doesn't meet qualifications for federal disability. His mom only has bipolar, and I think she's quite lucky still that she was approved so quickly and thats NOT the norm. He definitely is struggling and has issues that are working against him as he tries to find and hold down a job. He needs to be able to receive proper treatment from medical professionals so he can use his abilities! Disability isn't the answer for him. He needs, and is able, to get past the issues he's struggling with. So many of us don't have that option! The kicker is I think its the fact he hasn't been receiving proper psychiatric care thats the reason for the medicaid denial, he doesn't have a solid diagnosis or a full enough history because he can't afford to get therapy or stay with the same psychiatrist. I think if his struggles to function were obvious in medical records he would have been approved. From what I've seen its incredibly easy, a little too easy, to be approved for medicaid in Indiana based on psych causes. I joke the state doesn't want a bunch of crazes running around without their meds.