Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new here seeking advice pain will not go away

You don't have to have ssdi to get medicaid, if that's what you were saying. Medicaid is handled by the state government while ssdi is federal. Medicaid is also much easier to be approved for, and much quicker than ssdi. The state has their own board of drs who make the disabled decision for Medicaid.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightmsw View Post
    thats part of the problem, I have applied for ssi or ssdi was denied the first time and am in the middle of the first reconsideration, I have to be declared disabled b4 I can get medicaid. Right now we live on my husbands disability check so we are considered "low-income" thankfully the hospital I go to (Genisis) offers financial aid so I am getting almost 80% off of office visits. My Lyrica I get through the pharmecutial company (thank god cause its almost 300 a month) the baklofen is affordable and so is the ultam, Do u think maybe I should take 150 mg of Ultram at one time, now I am taking 100 mg at a time. The doc doesn't want to raise the level of the Lyrica due to it making me dizzy and lightheaded and I am only on the minimum dose. We tried Neurotrin and got it up to 600 mg 3 x day but again the side effects of dizzyness and nausea.

The MRI of my neck revealed cervical stenosis not sure what that is? Will ask on Friday I need answers and hopefully not more temporary procedures that are painful and have not worked, if anything the pain is worse.

Am keeping a pain diary and noting when the level goes up to be discussed on Friday
    the thing u need to discuss is declarig yourself disabled. your doctors can do that. you need to advocate for yourself and get it done on friday.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I have been doing this each time I visit but I WILL make sure they document it in their charts
    Have filed for medicaid still waiting for a decision hoping to hear back soon, I have turned in every test ordered, every visit and they have requested my records, think I will call my case worker Monday and try to get an update

Thank you all for all the advice that your giving it is nice not to feel sooo alone in this. Sometimes I just feel so overwhelmed that all I can do is sit and cry
    Everyday it's something new, be honest with me and I'll be honest with you

Quote Originally Posted by wrightmsw View Post

The MRI of my neck revealed cervical stenosis not sure what that is?
    It is a narrowing of the disc space.

http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...sis-myelopathy

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/c...topic-overview

It can be corrected. It is not a real invasive surgery if caught early like Cryptic says.

There are lots of new treatments if you seek an experienced physician or a teaching facility.

Lin you are wrong. Some states do require you to be disabled for adult Medicaid. You have to at least be in an application for SSDI or SSI situation to get it especially with the last round of cuts. It is the case in NC. If you have young children you can get it but adult Medicaid is a completely different thing.

http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dma/medicaid/who.htm for clarification...on Medicaid.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

In some states u qualify for Medicaid based on income. This needs to be looked into
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

medicaid is always income based, its income AND x based. Since its state run the details can change state to state, but typically its for: under 21 (to cover uninsured children), pregnant women, and the disabled. One thing I've personally run into is many caseworkers not knowing how to do disabled cases or even that they exist. I've been told before during routine yearly reviews that I wasn't applicable for medicaid because I was too old and not pregnant. Then I explain I have medicaid under disability and if they can't find it I request to speak to a supervisor. I've been on medicaid since 2005. And during that time I've had every possible mistake made and had to jump through their hoops and even threaten legal action at times. With what I've learned I've helped a lot of people in other states when they run into problems.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I was told by my caseworker that I have to be approved for disability to be eligable for medicaid, I live in Ohio. and thanks for the links
    Everyday it's something new, be honest with me and I'll be honest with you

If you're not pregnant and over 21, you have to be approved as medicaid disability. Not SSDI. So either something is being lost in translation, or your caseworker isn't familiar with medicaid disability cases.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/OHP/consumers/abd.stm

This should clear up questions.

Ohio uses the Social Security Administration for classification of disabled for Medicaid.

So your caseworker is telling you correctly. But since you are in a review situation...I would ask if they could approve based on the fact that you have applied.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

And keep in mind many states have "medically necessary Medicaid" that has a share of cost each month. I have many patients and it ranges from what I have seen to be $300 to $2800. But again that is just what I have seen in Florida for my patients. I do believe here they also look at assets as well.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.