Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Agenda for Washington April 12

My sister and brother both live in the DC area and have connections. Let me see what I can find out from them in the next 24-48 hours regarding accommodations. I assume we are looking for something close to the mall?

I recommend that we write a letter to President Bush that we symbolically "deliver" to the White House as part of the march. Instead of trying to get tons of signatures, I recommend getting 50 - one person from each state who "represents" the xxx number of people with SCI in their state. This makes for good press release material and shows that we are organized with a purpose.

Originally posted by Clipper:

I recommend that we write a letter to President Bush that we symbolically "deliver" to the White House as part of the march. Instead of trying to get tons of signatures, I recommend getting 50 - one person from each state who "represents" the xxx number of people with SCI in their state. This makes for good press release material and shows that we are organized with a purpose.
    Clipper, good idea!

Should we copy this post to all the CareCure Chapters created by Dr. Young?

Suzanne

Here are three hotels very near Capitol Hill:

Holiday Inn - Capitol
    202-479-4000
    Rates from $109

Holiday Inn - On the Hill
    202-638-1616
    Rates from $99

Hyatt Regency Washington
    202-737-1234
    Rates from $139

I booked a conference in DC last year, I will be happy to provide the details of accessible hotels as well as hotels that are accessible but no roll-in showers (I know). I will also be willing to provide contact info. I am from the region and can provide some logistical information.

The Hyatt is totally nonaccessible for their restaurants, unless you want to go through the kitchen. The rooms are good, but that is about it.

PT me with a request list and I will put together my info. Give me a fax number since that is how much of the information will need to be sent.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998

Everybody but Especially Clipper-

What if our demonstrators carry signs, each with a pic of a different person on it? I have this vision of myself carrying November LOL, a big pic that says at the top "My Friend November" and at the bottom "The face of Spinal cord injury looks like THIS". Suzanne could have one with her son on it that says "My Son Richard" and so on. We have so many young people and the nature of youth makes it rough for them to travel. Face it, when you're young you're broke. Our other friends, too, like Rusty R. This would be an arduous trip for him but we could at least carry his message.

What do you think? Cheesy or cool?

I love the letter to the President idea. How would we go about collecting a signature from all 50 states?

How many people should I say we anticipate on the permit application? First I thought 50, now I think 100 might be closer, especially if we can get the local D.C. wheelers interested.

"You need to march. You need to demand action. You need to stop feeling unempowered and do something...Freedom is your right. Until you claim your self-confidence and know your worth, no one will give it to you. It starts with you."-LetsGo

A map showing where Holiday on the Hill is, also a good one to orient yourself a little.Link to Holiday Inn on the Hill
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think we need signatures, per se. As long as we have names, hometown and maybe injury level, date of injury, relation to injured person, etc. I think we can get at least one person from each state to lend us their name pretty easily. Posting in the chapters section or even going through Quest for a Cure would be a good idea. A quick look suggests we have support/names from:

Florida (Faye)
    New Jersey (Bob)
    Oregon (Me)
    Oklahoma (Betheny)
    Rhode Island (Curtis)
    Virginia (Scott)
    Maryland (Cheesecake)
    Texas (hope2findacure)
    New York (metronycguy)
    California (buckwheat)
    Minnesota (Susan M)

As for signage, I dunno. I'm thinking of production costs and logistics. Since participants will enter buildings, it might be better if we had a banner or something that can be carried by two people and easily stowed. Maybe it could say something like, "UNITED, WE WILL STAND."

Personally I feel we should make the focal point of this march around the passage of the Chris Reeve Paralysis Act. I think this way we are bound to get some really good press coverage and that same time really apply some pressure to get this act passed which should have happened years ago.

Toots & Cheesecake,

Thank you so much for your inputs and look forward to hearing more from you soon!

Suzanne