Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Handbike training program

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    guys, I have an issue of sliding down in my rx then the center piece is killing my gonads. I use a hip click strap sinched tight, but still pull myself down. ideas.
    I wear a cup to cover my nuts. No matter how much I strap in big hill climbs pull me forward and I have a lot of feeling in my genital region (really hypersensitive) so I need the additional protection.

guys, I have an issue of sliding down in my rx then the center piece is killing my gonads.
    Are you wearing cycling shorts/tights with chamois pad? On my R, I also stuck some padding on the center piece itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
    Are you wearing cycling shorts/tights with chamois pad? On my R, I also stuck some padding on the center piece itself.
    no, I tried but it was messing up my ext and tube peeing. not good. how did you attach your padding. what did you use?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John how is your leg setup? Are your knees bent or stiff? Personally I hate the RX back with a passion. I think the angle is main problem for sliding down. I've lost power in converting from my Force to an RX. After this tri season I am yanking it off and welding an aluminum one on there. My legs are pretty bent with the setup now, which is great for steering ability, but act like a sponge when I want to get at it. I've tried a zillion combos with the RX back angle and I can't say I am truly happy with any of them. I moved my SRAM double tap to the middle of my chest right in front of me. I love no cables whipping around and my cadence remains fluid when I shift, even though my left hand comes off to shift. Just hate the back.

I keep them straight if bent i'd slide more. looking great tman, rock on!
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

how did you attach your padding. what did you use?
    I used self stick foam wing saddle tape from my hobby shop:

You could use handlebar padding/tape or foam/rubber pipe insulation.

Blog Entries
    I have a question....which do you think is harder on the shoulders, low cadance in a high gear or high candance is a lower gear?

Similar to cycling, I would think low cadence in a higher gear would be harder on the shoulders because you are putting more pressure on them.

Physiology

Low cadence requires us to push harder on the pedals. To generate that higher force contraction, your arm/shoulder muscles must recruit more fast-twitch muscle fibers vs slow-twitch fibers.

Slow-twitch fibers:

• Primarily burn fat for fuel, an almost limitless supply of fuel for even the leanest athlete.
    • Are very resistant to fatigue: they are built to go and go, all day.
    • Recover quickly when allowed to rest.

Fast-twitch fibers:

• Burn glycogen for fuel. This glycogen is stored within the muscles and is in relative short supply, about 2000 calories for a well-trained, well-fueled athlete.
    • Fatigue quickly, are NOT built to go all day.
    • Take a long time to recover before they can be used again.