Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handbike training program

Im no world class athlete and never will be but when you guys are looking at other peoples times and stuff don't you have to take into consideration there injury, age and years they have been riding and the terrain that there marathons are ran on? Say here in The Northwest most are pretty hilly at least mine have been and there isn't much of a chance averaging 22+mph on these. I might be completely wrong but when I see runners puking at the top of some of the hills I would say they are kinda big. But like I said im in no way a Elite Athlete.

just curious if that is took into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    Im no world class athlete and never will be but when you guys are looking at other peoples times and stuff don't you have to take into consideration there injury, age and years they have been riding and the terrain that there marathons are ran on? Say here in The Northwest most are pretty hilly at least mine have been and there isn't much of a chance averaging 22+mph on these. I might be completely wrong but when I see runners puking at the top of some of the hills I would say they are kinda big. But like I said im in no way a Elite Athlete.

just curious if that is took into consideration.
    your exactly right.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    your exactly right.
    That is what I need to work on is hills so I have incorporated some more hills into the end of long training rides. most big hills in my races seem to be at the end to just test your physical and mental preparation and toughness

That is what I need to work on is hills so I have incorporated some more hills into the end of long training rides.
    I would say incorporate a ride that all is uphill, and after just enjoy going down, uphills is what really give you the power and could take you to the limits really fast.

One of the race of the world cup is in Spain, in Segovia and the organizational choosed a circuit to destroy you.
    Five laps in this circuit....
    Last edited by totoL1; 06-21-2013 at 04:22 AM.

This ride is what i have added to my training program, once a week, it`s perfect because from my house to the start of the uphill are around 5km, perfect to start the climb with your muscles ready.
    For now i just get up where i market
    But i know once i could get up the hill i will be ready to play...
    I hope in a pair of monthes i could get up to the top in less than 1:20:00
    Last edited by totoL1; 06-21-2013 at 04:31 AM.

That is what I need to work on is hills so I have incorporated some more hills into the end of long training rides. most big hills in my races seem to be at the end to just test your physical and mental preparation and toughness
    me too. with qrings im climbing good for me. also shorter cranks help. 155 mm. but im all pull no push. but I get it done. some real steep hills I get 1/2 way up then have to ratchet. I train hills a lot.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
    I currently weigh 129 lbs. Used to weight 128 lbs several months back. I don't think my power numbers are high at all compared to some other handcyclists. For example, I'm pretty sure Tom Davis, who recently set the record for the Pittsburgh, LA, and Boston marathons, has an FTP in excess of 220W. The guy is a machine: http://screen.yahoo.com/hand-cyclist...230724135.html

I am curious to find out about his training program because it takes a lot of power to average 22.4+ mph in a marathon. That is insanely fast.
    Tom is a big guy(tall and muscular...not fat). 160 watts for a less than 130 pound guy is pretty darn good on a reclined handcycle. That would put you around 21mph avg TT speed in Flat Florida. Maybe a touch more.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    me too. with qrings im climbing good for me. also shorter cranks help. 155 mm. but im all pull no push. but I get it done. some real steep hills I get 1/2 way up then have to ratchet. I train hills a lot.
    man I think quads like yourself are supermen I mean I have full everything(but legs haha)and I think sometimes oh crap this hill is killing me but then I think what the hell am I complaining abt (:

man I think quads like yourself are supermen I mean I have full everything(but legs haha)and I think sometimes oh crap this hill is killing me but then I think what the hell am I complaining abt (:
    thx man. it takes drive and determination. and hella training. not many of us out there. but I'm changing that, I do a lot of events which really highlights the quad elite series we do at bikeon. I'm getting a lot out all over the world, I think that is great.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

guys, I have an issue of sliding down in my rx then the center piece is killing my gonads. I use a hip click strap sinched tight, but still pull myself down. ideas.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com