Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handbike training program

Handbike training program

Hi guys.

I have been three monthes without training with my hanbike.
    Everything came because I wanted to be prepared for the championship of Spain and only had two months to train, so i started training normaly the first two weeks, but after that i felt really good and i recovered very well because after trains i drinked my post-work suplement, so the muscles was ready for next day train again.
    After looking at this program training I think my trainings was outrageous, because i train with handbike everyday unless one day per week but the rides never was less than 2 hours, even some times near than 3 hours and now can understand why i get injured, tendinitis in my left shoulder.
    I didn`t want to get infiltrated and cure well my shoulder, this cost me near three monthes doing the last month some shoulder exercises with light weights.

I have took the handbike a pair of times doing easy rides without any problem, so it`s time to start again.
    And i`m going to do it exactly like the Carlos program, because i have learned something really important, if you hurry go slow if you want to go.

My question is that the training program start with uper body exercises two times per week, but from the ninth week leaves the uper body exercises, why?
    It`s just because the marathon was near in that program?
    But for be all the year training i have to do the same? or it will be better 4 days handbike, 2 for exercises and 1 out?

BTW i took for recovery after hanbike trainings protein whey complex with a banana or some other fruit, and to care for my joints Glucosamine+CSA and MSM

This suplements for joints are really good, i had no improvement with my injury until I started taking them, if some of you have joints problems i recomend them with some light exercises.

It's all about intensity. The quantity of training hours don't really say anything about your training quality. What was your weekly training stress score and avarage intensity factor when you got injured?

I think you should analyze that a bit more before starting with a new training program, so you don't get yourself injured again.

i do 3-4 days on the bike. 2 dys interval type intensity training then 1-2 days distance. imo distance is important mentally. during the season i weight train 3x week lighter weight more reps and cardio still 4 x week. i like recovery drinks, they work well. i use GU recovery brew. GU gel every 5 miles on the bike and GU electrolyte in my cam bak. mixing the electrolytes with my w3ater was a huge move for me, helps a ton. toto, that protein is fine but for recovery you want aminos as well.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 12-12-2012 at 12:02 PM.

If you want to be a world champion get a coach. Honestly it will help, A good coach will tell you exactly what to do and when to do it. Riding long and slow all the time will make you good at riding long and slow. Typically a coach will create a monthly plan for you, and the good ones will modify it slightly on the fly based on your performance.

The plan you posted the link to is good, but it is a generic plan meant for beginners/intermediate. Carlos also has a packet he has developed for handcycle clinics that he puts on, You should contact him and see if he can get one too you. His packet has a lot more info including periodization...etc

Basically during your off season you want to ride fairly easy. Lift a lot and get stronger. As you come closer to racing season, a coach will have you add in some interval training designed to get your functional threshold up. Just before your A race is the time for Vo2 Intervals and speed work.

Most handcycle races are 90 minutes in duration or less, so you should be able to get most of your workouts in under 2 hours a day. If you are going more than 2 hours per day, you are probably going slower than you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersBackman View Post
    . What was your weekly training stress score and avarage intensity factor when you got injured?

I think you should analyze that a bit more before starting with a new training program, so you don't get yourself injured again.
    I have analyze it, and i know why the injured happened, i have a few ride routes for don`t do the same each day, two of this routes have many long stretches of uploaded and i did it two times per week until my shoulder told me STOP.
    I thought going uphill i would progress faster, but the muscles wasn`t ready for that effort without leaving them enough time for recovery, i thought i was recovered, because the suplement make your muscles recover much faster, but i forgot my tendons, they need more time to adapt to great effort than muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    i do 3-4 days on the bike. 2 dys interval type intensity training then 1-2 days distance. imo distance is important mentally. during the season i weight train 3x week lighter weight more reps and cardio still 4 x week. i like recovery drinks, they work well. i use GU recovery brew. GU gel every 5 miles on the bike and GU electrolyte in my cam bak. mixing the electrolytes with my w3ater was a huge move for me, helps a ton. toto, that protein is fine but for recovery you want aminos as well.
    This is the amino profile per service, i think it`s ok, i drink electrolyte with water too.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    If you want to be a world champion get a coach. Honestly it will help, A good coach will tell you exactly what to do and when to do it..
    Well, being world champion is not my goal, but be on the podium in Spain championship would be nice , but this time i`m not hurry.
    Anyway there aren`t much good handbikes coaches here, i will ask...
    Last edited by totoL1; 12-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.

cool toto, i didnt catch the aminos. thought was just protein. another thing. i think training on a fluiud trainer is a killer addition to any training. no coasting oin it.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I think my trainings was outrageous, because i train with handbike everyday unless one day per week but the rides never was less than 2 hours, even some times near than 3 hours and now can understand why i get injured
    Long slow rides will only give you endurance. If you want to go fast, you got to train fast at or slightly above race pace. You also need to take a rest day/easy day after a hard day to recover and improve. Improvement occurs on a rest/easy day, not while training.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    cool toto, i didnt catch the aminos. thought was just protein. another thing. i think training on a fluiud trainer is a killer addition to any training. no coasting oin it.
    Anyway any protein have aminos, the protein is a molecule composed of a chain of aminos, so any protein that you take as a supplement, meat, fish, vegetables, etc. are amino acids, although some proteins have more than others.
    The protein that have more amino acids are those obtained from the whey of the milk, which is called Whey protein.
    The difference is that if you only buy protein, takes longer to get amino acids into muscle because protein is broken down in the stomach and the amino aborben in the small intestine, enter the blood and then to the muscle.
    The proteins with amino suplement have the advantage that you don`t have to digest them, they go right up to the blood, so you could have them in muscles in around 15 minutes, while the whey protein is doing the diget, this way you have a more continuous supply of amino that is what we need in hard trains, because when we do our trains exercises occur microroturas fibrillar muscle and aminos repair them.

Yes, you can drink a liter of milk and half a kilo of meat after training too, but when the amino will arrive at muscles? 4-5 hours latter?

I don`t understand that what you said about training on a fluiud trainer is a killer addition to any training. no coasting oin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
    . Improvement occurs on a rest/easy day, not while training.
    Yep, the body also needs rest, now i am not going to do more handbike rides than 4 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post

I don`t understand that what you said about training on a fluiud trainer is a killer addition to any training. no coasting oin it.
    you stop cranking your wheel stops spinning, no help from gravity or momentum. try it. i use a cycleops fluid .