Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need Suggestions...My Pain is Severe Right Now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Just get used to the pain...I know he's just looking out for himself, his family, etc. But don't you want to request he pinch vise grips to his own toes?
    Are you getting soft in your old age? I was thinking "balls" more than toes. Maybe I am just getting more evil in my old age

Kyle for anything narcotic, most doctors will insist on a pain management clinic.

I got the same relief as lonecoaster with his tramadol except I have worked up to 200mg with the extended relief. My pain doctor said that 200mg is as high as I can go with tramadol/ultram. If you research they do make a 300mg version but I didn't question her as I do take Paxil (anxiety/anti depressant) with it. I had good results with Cymbalta for the burning but after 10 years it stopped working. Several people have had success her with Cymbalta/tramadol combination and some people have gotten nothing from it. You have to try different combinations to see what will work for you.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

400 is the max daily dose of ultram. I stayed at 300 because my liver enzymes went up with 400. I took ultram for 10 years, and during many of those years I took it with antidepressants and never ran into any issues. Some drs seem overly concerned with serotonin syndrome.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    I do a combination of Lortab and Valium. Seems to work wonders for me.
    Yeah I second the opiod/valium mix. I am on methadone and valium and it has really got me to a place where I am functioning well.

Bethany, you're right...just "getting used to the pain" doesn't work as if it's even possible. In fact, as I know, trying it leaves you miserable. Hi Ashleigh...thanks for the suggestions on Albany Med pain docs. My physiatrist is Dr. Dubin...I like him but he's not good for managing pain.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Drs who tell patients to get used to pain should be put on trial for torture
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I don't understand doctors who tell you to just get use to the pain. Obviously, that is not going to work! I had no luck seeing a neurologist or a physiatrist for pain management. I had to go to a pain clinic and see a doctor that specializes in nothing but pain. I tried the cymbalta tramadol combo, and it did'nt work for me.

The pain clinic put me on morphine ms and percacet and it was the first medication that even took the edge off. And I know it will never go away. Nights and rainy days are the worst for me, on those days/nights the meds don't do much.

You need to find a good doctor at a pain clinic. I don't know much about NY, but here in TN, you don't get much, if any help, from most of the doctors.....unless they are at a pain clinic. And it's sad, but not all of our pain clinics are good ones.

Thanks Ashleigh.

I don't know about others with chronic neurogenic pain...but my neuro pain can be mild to somewhat tolerable (3/10 to 5/10) for a few days in a row to severe (10/10 to 15/10) for a day or two.

Anyone else have this happen with their pain?

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Thats typical of chronic pain in general, with the increased pain days being called flares or breakthrough pain (though breakthrough pain can also be referring to something different).
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Ugh...the neurological pain has "flared" again.

Ashleigh - Do you take anything for pain just on the bad days or do you have to take certain meds each day so there aren't bad days?