Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need Suggestions...My Pain is Severe Right Now!!!

I Need Suggestions...My Pain is Severe Right Now!!!

What do others with chronic neurogenic pain do/take to keep their pain tolerable? What has worked/not worked? I've heard lithium works.

I need to find a good doc who will prescribe something that works...because right now my pain is severe about 15/10. Daily, constant pain is making me miserable. I'm tired of just trying to get used to the pain & go through several days of strong neurogenic, tingling, burning, stabbing pain till I have several comparatively good days.
    Right now I'm on Effexor & Gabapptin....I was on Lyrica & Neurontin but stopped them b/c they didn't help.

Thanks...
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Gabapentin is Neurontin.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

yea gabapentin is neurontin so no idea why you'd be back on a drug that didnt work for me. i was given effexor and threw the script in the trash. really hope that you find someone to help you.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I do a combination of Lortab and Valium. Seems to work wonders for me.

I'm using lyrica 50mg 3x a day, and 50mg tramadol 2 to 3x a day. The combination works better than either alone.

What is Valium like to take? Lonecoaster - Do you take Tramadol as needed? One more thing...for these prescriptions; did you go to a pain clinic/center?

My pain is still severe...I slept about 2 hrs last night.

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    What is Valium like to take?
    It's in the same family as Xanax. It's an acute anti-anxiety medication that can perhaps help your pain if only because it works on the Central Nervous System.

Kyle, I'm pretty new to all this but what I've found that if I take tramadol when things get more intense it takes about an hour to work. I had this crazy shocking thing going. At first 2 trams and an hour sometimes knocked out the shocks, I say sometimes because it didn't always work. When I take the meds in combonation my shocks become way less frequent. But my problem besides the shocks and normal neuropathy(if there is such a thing), is fatigue. I'm incomplete and my legs get hot and tired just after noon, 3pm at best. The tramadol gives them more life by kinda making them numb. Sounds weird but I can get more time out of my legs with the tramadol. I just go to the rehab doctor (physiatrist)haha not even close, but they have tried almost everything in their bag of tricks. They did reccomend some kind of spine implant, but from reading posts here, I think I'll hold off on that option for now.
    Good Luck Kyle, I hope you can find the right combo.

Hi Ashleigh,

I didn't know we lived near each other...it is a small world after all. I haven't tried the Albany Med Pain Mngmt Center...I should. I get frustrated with so many docs, like my physiatrist who is also at Albany Med & follows my injury. He's good for most things but not good for pain management...as he's ultra-conservative & suggested a while back that I should "get used to the pain"...the result is I'm still in lots of pain...

Are Drs. Arnoff & Wymer good?

Just get used to the pain...I know he's just looking out for himself, his family, etc. But don't you want to request he pinch vise grips to his own toes?